1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Why was this thread closed?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RichNY, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RichNY

RichNY Guest

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=190441

Considering this thread wasn't getting out of control nor was it 'political' in any way is there any good reason why this was closed?

If it is only speech that is restricted here is there any reason why we can't post images of foreclosure signs, families being evicted from homes, lines of people at unemployment offices, etc.?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Hi Rich,

I just read through the rest of the thread that I had previously started and I can't see a good reason why it was closed. There was no flaming, no attacks, no profanity, etc.

It makes no sense. I would really like to know why it was closed. It was in General discussion and that is what it was, and there's lots of other 'general discussion' there.

Perhaps a moderator can clarify this for all of us.

3. Rob T

Rob T

Aug 27, 2008
    SoCal
    Come on guys, be serious.

It is virtually impossible to have that type of discussion without getting into politics.

Period.

4. I'm completely serious. It makes no sense.

5. Rob T

Rob T

Aug 27, 2008
    SoCal
    What doesn't make any sense? :confused: 

6. That the thread was closed. I just don't see it.

7. I guess economic discussions should be banned as well since it ties into politics! :tongue:

Maybe paying 'cafe members should get their own forum where we can just go at it. Like a 'battlefront' forum, where we can get down right dirty with Nikon vs. Canon threads and whatever we want to spout about. That should bring the universe in balance! :smile:

8. RichNY

RichNY Guest

So that would mean we can keep the discussions in play by just incorporating some Nikon tie in.

Ex. Nikon lenses are going to cost more in the future because the dollar will continue to lose value because of all of the debt we have to China and the bailout, and the current and ongoing opportunities for photographers such as James Nachtwey :) 

9. Read the forum rules for the answer.

10. Rob T

Rob T

Aug 27, 2008
    SoCal
    Then you aren't trying.

I'm not trying to be a wiseguy, but the simple fact of the matter is that you can't have a discussion of that type without getting into politics. And if you don't see politics being discussed in that thread, then you aren't looking very closely.

It isn't a matter of whether people were being disrespectful. It is a matter of political discussions not being allowed.

It sounds like you are kidding, but your statement is actually true.

11. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Or just a Big Boys category where we can discuss the things that matter and effect our lives with our fellow friends here at the cafe and not just have the PG-13 general category.

12. yendikeno

yendikeno

Mar 31, 2008
    CA
    Well, there are other sites where there is very little moderation and most anything can be discussed. Go there if that's what you want, but I like it here just the way it is.

13. The mod team spent a good part of the day yesterday removing political comments (which, as a couple of members pointed out, aren't allowed by Cafe rules) from several threads on the same topic. We came to the conclusion that it just wasn't possible to have a non-political discussion of these issues. Accordingly, we closed the threads.

Those wishing to have such discussions should avail themselves of the many appropriate venues. The Cafe not a political forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.