Why we take pictures

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by The chemist, Jul 12, 2007.

1. The chemist

The chemist

Jul 22, 2005
    nashville
    So many questions are asked about why we take images. From the frustrated viewer who can't tell the difference between an OOF snapshot and an artistic rendering of a image that took hours of anticipation to the pixel-peeper who lost the true meaning. Even that favorite image that sells at every venue can't quite describe to me what photography is.

What I love about this image is that it takes me away from everything. I am exhilarated to look over the hill in hopes that my shot is still there and perhaps better than expected. I have no time to think about the technical..I have dialed in the settings and am hoping for the best. I have climbed off the path and trekked through rocks with heavy gear enjoying every moment whether I land the shot or not. After taking the shot i sit back and enjoy and try to take in the moment that just happened( and chimp:)). Finally I simply can't describe everything in text so I leave you with the picture

Anyone else have a picture that can't be described in words about why they shoot?

[​IMG]

2. Neat shot and great idea for a thread Jonathan.....well said !! :smile::smile::smile:

3. Love that shot - especially the subtle wisp of high cloud!

Jonathan, you've hit the nail on the head. For me, it's the physical act of taking the photos which I love. I'm rewarded if I actually get a great shot but I never chimp at the location - only look at the histogram for adjustments. I love getting back, downloading the card and then looking at all my shots to see if I have a keeper or two. Sometimes I'll even wait a day or two before reviewing them so I can see them with fresh eyes (a recommendation by Freeman Patterson - wait six days before reviewing shots for culling purposes).

Two of my shots stand out in my mind .... one due to the intimate connection with one of Nature's creatures, and the other for the peace of mind I was thoroughly enjoying at the time. I love the emotion each invokes when I look at them.

original.

original.

4. Getting a shot that has been envisioned for quite a long time

PlumesInTheBreeze_4130.

5. That stunning shot must have given you such a feeling of satisfaction, Nick! I can hear you now "YESSSSSSS" :biggrin:

6. The chemist

The chemist

Jul 22, 2005
    nashville
    I love both shots Sandi and Nick! Talk about awe inspiring. Actually nick I completely understand what you are saying. One reason that caused me to post this was a recent shot that I had invisioned and finally captured! Talk about a great feeling. Thanks for sharing guys

7. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    I take photos b/c it's my job. It's a nonpaid intership, but a job reguardless!

Here I was told to take a photo to emphasize the craze over Harry Potter 5. This is a photo as the crowd is RUNNING into the theater a second after the chain is dropped (that they were waiting at for over 30 minutes).
    While we didn't run this photo, it was one of my favorites. (we didn't run it b/c it would have been too complicated to get the plates alligned or whatever for printing)

[​IMG]

I can't wait for the day when I can start picking up my camera for myself again...so hard to get that disire back sometimes.

8. You've described one of the main draws for me as well. I'm seeing the world in a whole different way than I did before becoming more serious about photography. I would add two other things that bring me great pleasure with photography. First, the wonderful learning about nature... birds, horses, geology... it's a grand way to live life. Secondly, the unexpected. That unplanned, totally surprising shoot that I had no intention of getting. This is one of them.

[​IMG]

This should be a great thread. Thanks for starting it, Jonathan. Fantastic photos and experiences already in this thread.

9. Sandi - YEEEEESSSSSSS! That was one + 3 others I spent a small fortune on getting professionally matted and framed. This weekend I will take photos of the wall hangers and post here

10. David, I'm waiting impatiently to see that photo - service is down right now.

Come on folks, share with the rest of the world the photos that keep you coming back to this addictive pursuit!

11. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    the waiting and journey is important to, waited almost two hours for this light one evening, time stood still, yet passed quickly, was one of those moments I will remember for a long time,

[​IMG]

12. I alwyas liked it because its Challenging, Probably why I like Low light photography and sports soo much.
    that simple for me.

13. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    That photos above is absolutely incredible. Best sunset/rise photo I've seen in a long time.

14. Some great images here...

Sometimes I find that the journey is the reward regardless of whether or not I can capture anything on film (or rather on the CF card... :rolleyes:) Linda and I really enjoy photographing wildlife and sometimes things happen when you least expect them and all I can think is how fortunate we were to be there. One example of that happened this spring. I was given a tip that some Osprey's had returned to a nest near where a friend of mine works. I went right down and got to witness the male going through his mating rituals. He was way too high for pictures, but it was incredible to watch what he was doing and how acrobatic he was, etc. For me, that was a "productive" day. Didn't get any pictures but I saw something that not very many people around here get to witness regularly...

Photography has given me the opportunity to go out and do stuff rather then just hang around and wax cars or something... And "stuff" is good, which is why I take pictures...

15. The thing I love the most about photography is that it has opened up other worlds for me. I'm now so interested in nature that I got into camping, and into kayaking. I've learnt so much about Nature and her little critters. Kayaking puts me at peace like nothing else. To sit floating, drifting with the breeze, watching Nature in all her glory. Hiking for hours just to get the opportunity to shoot is also healthy! Maybe photography, in this sense, will help me live longer!! LOL

David, that's a terrific shot - you couldn't have posed them better if you tried!

Wade - a stunning sunset! So peaceful, so serene.

16. I have always enjoyed the simple and complex beauty that is all around us. I kept telling a friend of mine of this gorgeous place to catch a sunrise in the summer. Finaly convinced him to make the 5 hour drive with me on a friday evening and we got up well before dawn at the motel and went to this location. You never know if a sunrise will have color or clouds or a morning mist, but this morning we were amply rewarded for our enthusiasm for photography and nature.

[​IMG]

17. Not many things I'd get up for at 3AM but that dawn shot is one of them, Dave! Nature at her finest. :smile: Beautiful photo.

18. As I sit here with my grandson Jesse on my lap I remember back a year and a half ago when I took a special image of him. To chronical the growth of my family is one of the reasons I like photography:

My grandson Jesse:

original.

19. bernardf

bernardf Guest

Like others already, I would say that the reward is in the making of photographs, sometimes more than in the end result. The making is justification in itself. And photography brings us to better see the world around us.

20. richinnj

richinnj Guest

Gordon - an Incredible Incredible Amazing Photo -
    rich