1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Why would anybody buy the Sigma 50mm f/1.4?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jberenyi, Sep 20, 2008.

1. jberenyi

jberenyi

Apr 6, 2008
    Roy, Utah
    Why would someone pay more money for the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 over a gorgeous Nikon equivalent? This makes no sense to me.

2. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    So Fla
    well
    alot of people want AFS , the Sigma has HSM
    the "bokeh" of the Nikon 50 1.4 leaves alot to be desired
    the optics are a very old design, no ED glass etc

Nikon has been slow to update their prime selection and Sigma has jumped on it, with the 30 1.4 and now the 50 1.4

I don't really care for Sigma in general, but some people do

when Nikon does release its "new" 50 1.4 or such, its price tag will no doubt keep the Sigma in many peoples kit

YMMV

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2008
  3. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Because I've got a chemical imbalance:eek: :eek: 

4. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    So Fla
    we know that Francis

but thats no excuse....:wink::smile:

5. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    LOL :tongue:.

My real excuse: I loved the way the Sigma 30/1.4 performed on DX that I wanted to emulate it on FX. So far it exceeds all expectations. :biggrin:

6. If no AFS primes are announced at photokina, I might pick the Sigma, but I really hate that Sigma finish. It peels like a mofo if not protected. The Sigma lenses need Lenscoats to protect the lenses from themselves! :eek: 

7. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    • less vignetting when wide open
    • sharper when wide open
    • autofocus works on d40/60
    I'm not saying that applies to you - but there are plenty or reasons that people would want to buy that lens over the Nikon one. Especially since Nikon seems more interested in pushing out new bodies than new lenses.

8. For the size of the Sigma, they should of made it an f/1.2! That would make it an automatic buy for me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.