1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Why wouldn't you buy the 300mm 2.8? Pictures.

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by danielbaer, Sep 18, 2008.

1. One of the bust purchases I have made. The 300mm 2.8 ai-s (the latest version) is such a good deal. It produces wonderful bokeh (this image was stopped down to 5.6), and sharp images. When focused properly it is really a fun lens, this was mounted on my monopod. (Sorry if the image is too big).

2868301287_aca10fb375_b.

2. That's beautiful Daniel. Mind if I asked what you paid for it?

I haven't seen an AI or AI-S Lens that didn't impress me, regardless of focal length or speed. Something quite special about the glass and build.

3. two slow

two slow

Apr 22, 2006
    Talladega, Al
    Wonderful shot. I wish I had the eyes to try some of the AIS lenses like this.

4. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Great shot. The Nikkor 300 2.8 ED-IF AIS is a very special lens. Capture's like this go along way to show what a talented photographer and a 300 2.8 and a Lowely D2H can produce, just amazing IQ.

gregory

5. Very nice shot but I've got 4,500 reasons not to buy the AF-VR version, and 1250 reasons not to buy an older MF version :Teeth:.

6. Thanks to all, please see my flickr pages for more shots with this lens.

Sure thing, I paid 750 US dollars for the lens with external hood and case.

That's a pretty high price, unless you're paying for an absolute pristine copy (which mine practically is). Like anything else, you just need to wait for a good deal.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2008
  7. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Ditto

For now baby brother (300/4) will do me fine...

8. RichNY

RichNY Guest

Considering what bodies sell for $1250 is a steal for a long lens like this.

My 200 f/2 and 400 f/2.8 make the 85 f/1.4 look like consumer glass. I am blown away by how good all of the telephoto primes in the line up are.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.