Why you shouldn't try to handhold a 500mm+TC1.4 (5 D2X pics)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Steve S, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Went up to my lake cottage thinking I would shoot some wildlife, only to discover that I forgot my tripod/Wimberley head!
    So, this morning, bright & early, I went to a known spot to see if this beast is handholdable at all. For the most part, it is not! I tried positioning it on the roof of my car, but that method very much limited the range in which I could pan.
    The Heron and Kingfisher shots are 100% crops, the others cropped much less. Can anyone ID this Kingfisher, and did you know it can hover, much like a Hummer? In these 2 shots, it was hovering.

Not very good Heron in flight:

original.

Not so sharp hovering Kingfisher:

original.

original.

A bit sharper Mallard mom, ducklings & Bullfrog :

original.

original.

2. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Re: Why you shouldn't try to handhold a 500mm+TC1.4 (5 D2X p

Steve :

Pretty good material, handheld notwithstanding. I've been trying to get hovering Kingfisher shots for some time without success. They're skittish and difficult birds to get close to.

That is, BTW, a banded kingfisher.

John P.

3. Yep that would be a tough call, thought many times to get an oversized beanbag/sandbag to lay over the car window to create a nice rest and protect the lens, not sure how well it would work.........

all things considering you got some nice shots. the kingfisher is a neat looking bird!!

Keith

4. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    oops, small correction, no TC was used,

when I got back home, I discovered the TC 1.4 was still attached to the 70-200! My Bad, I guess they were "only" 500mm handheld shots! :oops:  Thanks for that ID John.

5. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Re: oops, small correction, no TC was used,

Steve :

Still good shots of the kingfisher, TC or not.

BTW, the kingfishers can only "hover" either for a very brief period, or where there's a solid wind to give them lift. I've seen a banded kingfisher hover for about ten seconds with a gusting wind in central WI last year, but that's about the longest hover interval that I've seen.

For a variety of reasons, I think kingfishers are some of the neatest birds around.

John P.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.