Wide angle comparison question

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Preston, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Preston

Preston

May 2, 2005
    Reno, NV
    Anyone have any experiences or info on how the Sigma 28 1.8 is in terms of quality to Nikkors 35 2.0 or vise versa. Thanks

2. I haven't tried the sigma BUT they make good glass and I have very good faith in that lens (My 15-30 is incredible. I don't have enough words to describe it's performance. Sharp sharp sharp).

Now down to the real stuff: f1.8 VS. f2 is almost no difference. Very often the camera will meter the same. My cameras meter the same when I have the 50 at 1.8 or f2.

Also, 28 vs. 35mm view is very little in difference altough there is a slight difference.

Also, the size of the 35mm nikon is smaller, better.

What's really important is the contrast wide open and I think the Nikon wins in that dept. This would be the most important part when choosing a lens.

3. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Might also want to see how the reviews come out for the new Sigma 30mm 1.4, which is supposed to be released very soon.

4. I've got the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 on order and talked to Adorama yesterday. They said it will be at least 3 more weeks before it ships.

I very much hope they are wrong.

_/oe

5. Preston

Preston

May 2, 2005
    Reno, NV
    I love my 50 1.8 Nikkor but that ends up being a 75mm with the crop factor. I would like to get close to a 50mm after the crop factor. The reason I was asking about the sigma 28mm is itt will aslo get a 1-2.9 magnification ratio. I do already have a mcro lens however this I thought might make the sigma a more general photo lens. The 30mm 1.4 I think has a magnification ratio of 1-10.

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    The Nikkor 35mm f/2 gets as close as 1:4.

7. Preston

Preston

May 2, 2005
    Reno, NV
    At B&H it is listed as 1:4.2 which isn't too bad but that is one of the reasons I am curios about the quality difference between all lenses in this range.