Wide angle dilemma

I need/want a wide angle lens after selling my Tokina 12-24 DX lens years ago. I didn't use it a lot, but liked it when I did. I have a bunch of 77mm ND and polarizing filters, so I want to stay with that size if possible. Here are the lenses I narrowed down:

#1 Nikon 24-70 F2.8. I rented this lens last year and liked it a lot. Sometimes I wanted just a touch more reach, so I carried the 70-200 VR with me as well, sometimes mounted on a 2nd body to make the changes quick.

#2 Nikon 24-120 F4 VR. I read nothing but rave reviews on this lens. Sample pics I see here and other places look sharp, colors look vibrant, and gotta love VR for low light shots.

#3 Nikon 16-35 F4 VR. I also rented this lens and quite frankly, I wasn't blown away by it. It's wide, but I saw a lot of distortion and I always felt the edges looked pretty soft. Stopping it down to F8 or F11 seemed to remedy the softness, but I wasn't keen on that sometimes.

#4 Nikon 28mm F1.8. This seems like a decent option, but would require me to take along another lens.

I also looked at the Tokina 16-28 and 17-35 as I thought my 12-24 was a very nice piece of glass for the money. The only issue is that I would need to replace all of my current filters.

Right now I am leaning heavily towards the 24-120 VR as it seems like the way to go. Am I missing any other offerings?

Nikon also has a new 18-35/3.5-4.5 and the ancient but excellent 17-35/2.8 is still available. There is also the 24/1.4 which may be one of the best lenses that Nikon currently makes IMHO. All three of these lenses take 77mm filters.

You seem to have pretty much covered the bases. I am also looking for a wide angle for my D600 and am definitely looking at the 24-120VR. I have also looked at the Tokina models that you listed and they do appear to be great glass, especially for the price. Will 24mm be wide enough for you? That is part of my dilemma. I am having a hard time deciding just how wide I need/want.

My Nikon 16-35 is probably my favorite lens. It's mounted on my D800 just about 80% of the time. I'd recommend it to anyone.

PublicSquareClevelandOhio_zps758f44d3.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I took my 24-120 out this weekend and left the 14-24 at home, how much I missed it I can't describe, 24 is not wide at all after the 14-24, I agree with your opinion of the 16-35 the distortion was a killer for me.

17-35. Stop it down to f/5.6 and it really shines. If you're really leaning towards the 24-120, you're leaning towards a normal range, not wide angle as you state in the thread title. I think the new 18-35 also warrants a good, serious look.

Thanks for all the input. I just ordered the new 18-35 after reading some positive reviews and seeing some pretty impressive results. The price seems right for as much as I will use this lens and I am sure it will be comparable to the results I saw with my old Tokina. It arrives tomorrow and I will be sure to post some of my thoughts and results in the corresponding thread as soon as I can.

Real Name
Colin Carter
Thanks for all the input. I just ordered the new 18-35 after reading some positive reviews and seeing some pretty impressive results. The price seems right for as much as I will use this lens and I am sure it will be comparable to the results I saw with my old Tokina. It arrives tomorrow and I will be sure to post some of my thoughts and results in the corresponding thread as soon as I can.

i think you made a great choice there, the new lens looks superb.

Zeiss 18, 21, and 25 are other options, 15mm is unrealistically expensive. I really like the 14-24 as well except for that hug he bulge, but the results are always amazing.

If you're really leaning towards the 24-120, you're leaning towards a normal range, not wide angle as you state in the thread title.
Agreed...your information is conflicting.

If you're looking to replace the Tokina 12-24 from DX, you're looking at 18-36mm on FF.

If you're looking for a normal zoom, the 24-70 or 24-120 are probably what you're looking for.

Real Name
Randy
i'm on my 2nd 14-24 (sold the 1st one because I rarely used it) and have used it once since I got it:smile:

some lenses are nice to have but rarely used, the FE is another one

Randy, I did seriously consider the 14-24, but I wanted to use all of my current 77mm filters. I did not want to invest in a whole new filter setup on a lens I may use 2-3 times a year.

If I used it to actually make money, that would be a different story all together.

The 14-24 has a lot more utility than some seem to think. It can be used in a wider variety of subject material than just landscapes. I've even seen a lot of sports photographs lug it around for the wide angle close up perspective.

I've tried the new 18-35 AF-S lens and it was very sharp, I would say just as sharp as my 16-35. If I didn't already own the 16-35, I wouldn't mind the 18-35 at all. It's also smaller and lighter, which is a plus.

Congrats! I read good reviews on Amazon too.

Please post some samples when you get the lens because I'm interesting on this lens too.
Thanks!

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom