Wide angle distortion

Any suggestions for a wide angle with minimal distortion? My Nikkor 17-55/2.8G has the focal lengths I like but the pincushion is a pain. (mounted on a D800)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Rokinon 14mm f2.8. It is supposed to have a mustache distortion, but I really don't see it. I never had to correct any photos, but I also never shot architecture. It is my favorite lens next to my Rok 35mm.

I hear the Tokina 17-35 f4 is supposed to be decent too, with very little distortion.

I have the 17-35 2.8D. I haven't found any distortion.

I looked at the Rokinon 15, but found such terrible mustaching that by the time I corrected it, I was back to the FOV of a 16mm.

It's a wide angle lens, you'll have to deal with some distortion. Use software to fix it if it bothers you so much, otherwise, deal with the laws of physics.

Real Name
Chris
I have a 17-35 Nikkor. From about 20 to 28mm it is absolutely rectilinear. 17-19 and 29-35 it is so slight that you wouldn't notice unless you put a straight edge right inside the frame.

It's a wide angle lens, you'll have to deal with some distortion. Use software to fix it if it bothers you so much, otherwise, deal with the laws of physics.
I think he means pincushion and barrel distortion. These are compromises to lens design that can be completely corrected for. Fixed focal length Schneider Superangulons and Zeiss Biogons have been around for a long time, and they have no distortion at all. All zoom lenses have it, usually toward the extremes of the zoom range, but they often have a sweet-spot where the distortion is minimized.

Real Name
Chris
ps, Jacques Louis, do you mean the 17-55? Have you found a sweet spot around 35mm? My friend Jen has that lens, and swears by it. Never tested it though.

I have a 17-35 Nikkor. From about 20 to 28mm it is absolutely rectilinear. 17-19 and 29-35 it is so slight that you wouldn't notice unless you put a straight edge right inside the frame.

I think he means pincushion and barrel distortion. These are compromises to lens design that can be completely corrected for. Fixed focal length Schneider Superangulons and Zeiss Biogons have been around for a long time, and they have no distortion at all. All zoom lenses have it, usually toward the extremes of the zoom range, but they often have a sweet-spot where the distortion is minimized.
I understand this, however, when you shoot with a wide angle you have to deal with distortion. Not sure why so many fear this as if it is a bad design flaw...you shoot with it in mind and there are ways to minimize the "look" if you so need it.

Any suggestions for a wide angle with minimal distortion? My Nikkor 17-50/2.8G has the focal lengths I like but the pincushion is a pain. (mounted on a D800)
There are 2 kinds of distortion about which should learn: geometric & perspective. The former is generated by the lens, the latter by the shooter. Photozone will give you geometric distortion for a given lens if you visit their site.

The Sigma 12-24 has amazing control over geometric distortions, particularly when you consider the AOV it covers.

JT

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I understand this, however, when you shoot with a wide angle you have to deal with distortion. Not sure why so many fear this as if it is a bad design flaw...you shoot with it in mind and there are ways to minimize the "look" if you so need it.
Pincushion and barrel distortion. Often unnoticed unless shooting things with obvious straight lines like brick walls, architecture. I can correct it in PP but it's different at each focal length. Just trying to minimize the amount of PP work. I endeavor to keep the sensor plane vertical to the extent possible to avoid compounding it with a perspective correction.

Pincushion and barrel distortion. Often unnoticed unless shooting things with obvious straight lines like brick walls, architecture. I can correct it in PP but it's different at each focal length. Just trying to minimize the amount of PP work. I endeavor to keep the sensor plane vertical to the extent possible to avoid compounding it with a perspective correction.
Again, I get what you're trying to accomplish, but you're asking a wide angle lens (something with inherent distortion based in the design) to "not do that". You can minimize it, sure, but if you're so concerned with straight lines, even the lens with less distortion is going to bend those lines and require PP.

Have you looked at tilt/shift lenses? Will those work for what you're wanting to accomplish?

If my heavy distorted image could be dramatically improved in 5-10min, so it is possible for everyone. In case it needs an extra explanation, I didn't reach my goal, by posting it.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom