Wide angle fast primes.. feeling conflicted

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Foques, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Foques

Foques

May 13, 2009
    Streamwood, IL
    Hey all,

just trying to make a decision here, and having a bit of a hard time with it.

I'm looking to pick up a fast wide angle prime for weddings/concert work.
    I was contemplating a 35mm, but with the 28 1.4 coming out, I am unsure where to head now..

should I do 35? 28? Sigma Art instead (the price is definitely more exciting)..help?

2. Buy them both.
    ( how could we know your equipment, style, budget, style?)

3. Foques

Foques

May 13, 2009
    Streamwood, IL
    touche.
    Shooting with d750s.. budget is always the lowest possible, but quality trumps cheap build (hence me getting the 200 f2 a while back)

4. Since you own the 200/2 you know great so I'd get the 35/1.4

5. 73Z1

73Z1

Sep 15, 2008
    Sacramento
    I've never shot a concert, but I've shot quiet a few weddings and the 35mm was always a bit too restrictive for me. I prefered 28mm over 35mm for group shots. Even though I have an excellent copy of the 24-70 f/2.8, a while back I picked up a 35 mm f/1.4 AiS and a 28mm f/2 AiS for night shooting. The large aperture old manual primes are so much more fun to use than modern AF lenses for long exposure night shoots. So easy to dial in perfect focus in the dark with LV on the D800E and a good manual lens. I find that I tend to use the 28mm far more than the 35mm for this type of work as well. I suggest that you evaluate the type of imagery you expect to create and buy the appropriate focal length that suits your creative vision. 7mm at the wide end is pretty significant at times.

6. Foques

Foques

May 13, 2009
    Streamwood, IL
    thank you; that's what I was leaning towards to, but was hoping that I will be steered towards a more wallet friendly option. I suppose not :)

7. Mike Irish

Mike Irish

Jun 14, 2008
    Ireland
  8. 73Z1

73Z1

Sep 15, 2008
    Sacramento
    That is an absolutely outstanding image. Bravo!!
    Obviously the Sigma 35mm Art lens is superb, but so is my 300 f/2.8 VR. Neither however will deliver the same image perspective as a 28mm lens. If I preferred the 35mm perspective, I'd gladly "upgrade" to the Sigma by selling my current 35mm, but I'm going to sell the 35mm because that focal length is not best for me. That's why I suggest that one test to try and determine the perspective best suited to their needs before purchase if possible.

Sigma has really stepped up their lens offerings in the last few years. (I absolutely love my Sigma 150mm f/2.8 macro.) Based on your awesome image, I'd say that the Sigma 35mm Art should definitely be on the short list of lenses to consider before a lens choice is finalized.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Mike Irish

Mike Irish

Jun 14, 2008
    Ireland
    Hi Mike. I am sorry if I misled you in posting the image taken with the Sig 35 Art. I posted it to show the quality of the optical performance of the lens. I will give you a for instance. I loaned my brother in law Des Mc Mahon my Sig 35 as he was interested in upgrading his old Nikon 50mm f1.4 lens. His words to me after he used the Sig 35 for a couple of weeks were Wow it if razor sharp a lovely lens Mike. Her purchased the Sig 50mm f1.5 Art lens as he likes that focal length. So each to his own.
    PS. He loves the quality of the images from his new Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art lens. Happy days. Just to add some further information regarding Des my brother in law. Des is a very good photographer a Nikon user for all his working life. I simply love his B&W work. Take a look at his work at the following link link.------------> Des McMahon

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mike Irish

Mike Irish

Jun 14, 2008
    Ireland
    Thank you Randy. I truly appreciate that.
    Cheers.
    Mike

11. Foques

Foques

May 13, 2009
    Streamwood, IL
    the image does the opposite of selling me on it..

I don't care about landscapes; I have 14-24 for them, and I highly doubt i'll ever be in a situation i'll have to use a 1.4 for a 35mm view.. :p

12. Mike Irish

Mike Irish

Jun 14, 2008
    Ireland
    Hi. I also have the Nikon 14/24 f2.8 lens, it is a super lens .I also have the full set of Fotoiox Photodiox Pro Wonder Pana filters for it. I love that lens. The Sig 35 f1.4 is probably my most used lens. The shot I posted above I posted for another mander here on the cafe. He was looking for example shots of starlight shots from this lens and the Nikon 35f1.4 lens. I had a look at your flickr site and I could only find four landscape photos. What do you use your Nikon 14/24 for? I believe that for the sort of images you shoot that the 35mm focal length would work wonderfully for you.
    Regards.
    Mike

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  13. With wides it is difficult to get subject isolation due to the large DOF. So for "people shots" f1.4 can come in handy to reduce DOF.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. JW53

JW53

Jan 21, 2006
    Johns Creek, Ga
    Just purchased the 35mm 1.4 art and used it in a indoor model shoot several days ago. Loved the results, sharp, great contrast and wonderful isolation. Can easily see it becoming my most used lens. Focus seems to be spot on but will check it using Lens Align and FocusTune. Purchase included the dock, so if changes are necessary will be able to make the adjustments. Now thinking of replacing my 50mm 1.8G with a Sigma 50mm Art.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mykal

Mykal

Apr 2, 2017
    It would depend on your other lenses. What gap are you trying to fill? I used to shoot 35mm and 85mm for weddings but now I'm doing 28mm, 58mm and 105mm. I found the 35mm and bit too restrictive at times. The 85mm too tight for getting ready and sometimes too narrow for ceremonies. I currently have the 28mm 1.8 but I have ordered the 28mm 1.4E.

I like the flow of 28, 58 and 105 better than 35 and 85. Covers wider and longer and 58mm in the middle is just about perfect.

16. Foques

Foques

May 13, 2009
    Streamwood, IL
    this was the case of my typing slower than my thinking. I was referring to the landscapes.

i'm looking to fill in the f/ gap not the mm gap, so to speak
    A far as the ranges go, i'm covered from 14-400mm. but I want to get a fast wide angle that is faster than my 24-70 or 14-24.

17. Max Power

Max Power

Jan 11, 2009
    St Paul, MN
    When I was looking at getting a wide prime, I looked at the focal lengths in the exif data of my 24-70 2.8, and the Sony RX100-IV I had at the time. I found that I was shooting at the widest FL a LOT of the time. Not sure if you have data like that to preface a purchase, but I ended up with a Sigma 35mm 1.4, and quickly added a 24mm 1.4 Art as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Consider the 28mm 1.8.
    It's a cheap workhorse.

19. Foques

Foques

May 13, 2009
    Streamwood, IL
    at this point, i'm on the fence between 20 and 24mm sigma.
    reading the reviews, I don't see much difference between nikon and sigma glass sans the $$