wide angle - more noise on DPR

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Iliah, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Trying to look at the current dpr discussion at even wider angle :)

Maeve's point, obviously, was about Nikon being past Canon.

What he is doing, and I think it is quite obvious to everybody, is trying to prove Nikon is worthless. So, he invents situations which are quite rare in practice - and gains his score. Honest photographers can not ignore that he has his points, and start defending him. By that support minor things grow to big issues. Not that I think you need this explanations; but I just want to bring to your attention once more the sad fact that the only reasonable answer is something along the lines - "why Canon has that and that weak spots". But of course many of us do not want to bring discussion to that. So, ignore mode and warnings to others IMHO are the best reaction.

I shoot wide angle wide open - but not with slr cameras.

Rangefinders have better wide-angle optics, because they do not need the negative element to compensate for mirror chamber increasing working distance. The other reason is that shooting wide angle close the action is so fast that even short blackouts for mirror slap are bugging.

Price, size, and weight(!) also matter here - 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss Biogon T* for Contax G vs. 21mm f/2.8 MM Zeiss Distagon T* for Y/C. And for "G" it is even autofocus :)

Shooting wide angle is pretty often overhead, quite sometimes camera is held in one hand only, so the smaller is the camera the more chances are to get the shot - easier to aim, easier to hold, less vibration at slow ISO 1/30. So, rangefinders have quite an advantage.

So, why Canon is not manufacturing digital rangefinders with external LCD viewfinders allowing live preview??

2. I read Maeve's points and even though he's an obvious troll he does have a point. Despite having a 12-24 f/4, Nikon doesn't have a f/2.8 option. I don't know if it's economically feasible or if the lens will be a honking piece of glass...It's the only thing left to solidify Nikon's DX position. The telephoto end is coming in nicely and I think Nikon can make such a lens.

I think with such trolls it is only best to insult him and blast his position. By trying to defend your own position, you only open yourself to troll attacks! :p :wink: :0

Here's an article to destroy trolls!

http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=2715

3. I think your point is the right one - we should just ignore him, don't feed the troll.

It creates a very unhappy atmoshpere among photgraphers - us against them. It is very childish and imature. And I'm very sure that this is not the kind of brand advertising neither Canon nor Nikon wants from their userbase.

As for Nikon and Wideangle I would love to see a real rectilinear DX prime wideangle lens for landscape and indoor architecture, although the 12-24 certainly is not bad at all, that would be really nice.

4. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    DX 12/2.8 is certainly possible, but might weight above 0.8..1.1lb, depending on design. It may cost about $750..$900.

Meanwhile, I'm waiting to try 30/1.4 from Sigma :)

5. wide angle more noise on DPR

How about what we read on dpr stays on dpr. or make it a pm message to whoever you think would be interested

Thanks

POPEYE

6. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Re: wide angle more noise on DPR

I expected this point of view - but in a PM :)

7. Iliah, funny I just was reading that post on dpr myself. I don't have any personal opinion on the wide angle issue, but I did want to say that I have no problem with you or anyone bringing up an interesting post on dpr or anywhere else, for that matter. Why not?? It may direct our attention to something we find interesting. Let's not get into an "us against them" mentality here. I think a lot of us still read dpr and actually now that I'm not posting as much there I find it more amusing ;-) There is still valuable information to be had there.

Oh yeah, I'm waiting on that Sigma 30 1.4 too!

8. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I agree with Janet and have no problem seeing posts here about issues on DPR - especially given I only visit DPR about every two or three days now.

Neil

9. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I missed the discussion on DPR, so I cannot speak to that conversation, nor the reference to Canon's choice not to make a rangefinder, but the type of camera you describe might diminish the DSLR market. Sure, viewing an optically reflected image is neat, but a good LCD can do wonders for shots not taken with the camera at your eye. DSLRs could diminish to the same level that film SLRs are at now.

Future cameras will use an EVF (much improved in response time, definition and color) and/or swivel LCD. Unlike today's 'digicams' though, it will incorporate the latest sensor technology, with a fast DX sized chip. Unlike the Epson DRF (digital rangefinder) the new cameras will use the digital side to a much better advantage. There will be a live preview (and histogram!), scaling exposure control from auto-everything to full manual, auto-focus! and an electronic shutter that allows any flash sync speed.

An interchangeable mount would let the user attach Nikon, Canon, Leica, and other lenses. It'd be a three screw - user changeable option, but expensive. Of course this presumes there won't be an optical breakthrough, like maybe fluid holographic Fresnel zone focusing. It could happen: 5-5000mm f/1 to f/100, and only an inch thick. Ok this whole paragraph is unlikely, but the DRF is a technology that could really take-off!

10. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Absolutely! The ranting and deliberate dis-communication seem quiet and distant now, so it's more like having the TV tuned to Raymond or some-such in the other room.