Wide angle or telephoto for upcoming trip to Lake Tahoe, CA?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by KsJET, Apr 12, 2007.

1. KsJET

KsJET

Feb 24, 2007
    MN
    My husband will be participating in a Century Ride (100 mile bicycle ride) as a fundraiser the first week of June in Lake Tahoe. I am very excited to be able to tag along. I am considering purchasing one more lens for this trip, but I'm not sure what I will need. I would like to eventually add both a wide angle and telephoto zoom to my collection, but can only pick one at this time. I have been looking at the Sigma 10-20mm and the Nikkor 70-300mm VR.

Considering the other lenses I own (well, the Tamron is still in transit), which one do you think I would find more useful for this trip? I'm pretty sure I have the range needed for shots of my husband in the ride covered with either the Tamron or the kit lens, but we'll hopefully have one free day to explore/hike.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2007
  2. I think you have what you need now, that is the 18-135mm. However, you could add a 10-20mm to open up your shots. Eventually you might want to consider a 200-400mm lens, but for this trip, use either what you have or get a 10-20mm. Don't forget a graduated ND filter and polarizing filter.

3. KsJET

KsJET

Feb 24, 2007
    MN

Oh yes, filters! I hadn't thought about that. Now to find out which ones are best..

Edited to add: We also do a lot of hiking and camping in the warmer months so whatever I buy for this trip will be used often. MN is full of waterfalls. I currently do not own a tripod and am not sure I will enjoy hiking with one and all 3 children. Would a VR lens make handheld waterfall shots possible? I will probably be needing a filter for that as well.

4. VR will let you get to the very edge of those "milky" waterfalls, but only just barely. You can do it with 1/6th a sec, but that's really about as far as you can get hand-held, even with VR. Sometimes it takes a full second, and that's just not feasible with VR. I'd recommend that you look into the tripods - some of them are smaller and lighter than others. I definitely know what you mean about hiking with a big tripod and kids, but some are much easier than others. Of course, there are also lots of other opportunities than the "milky flow" sort of thing, but that's a lot of what people associated with waterfalls.

5. KsJET

KsJET

Feb 24, 2007
    MN
    Thanks for the help! It looks like the list of stuff I need for our adventures this summer is just going to keep growing. I should probably seriously consider a light weight tripod.