Wide angle or telephoto for upcoming trip to Lake Tahoe, CA?

My husband will be participating in a Century Ride (100 mile bicycle ride) as a fundraiser the first week of June in Lake Tahoe. I am very excited to be able to tag along. I am considering purchasing one more lens for this trip, but I'm not sure what I will need. I would like to eventually add both a wide angle and telephoto zoom to my collection, but can only pick one at this time. I have been looking at the Sigma 10-20mm and the Nikkor 70-300mm VR.

Considering the other lenses I own (well, the Tamron is still in transit), which one do you think I would find more useful for this trip? I'm pretty sure I have the range needed for shots of my husband in the ride covered with either the Tamron or the kit lens, but we'll hopefully have one free day to explore/hike.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you have what you need now, that is the 18-135mm. However, you could add a 10-20mm to open up your shots. Eventually you might want to consider a 200-400mm lens, but for this trip, use either what you have or get a 10-20mm. Don't forget a graduated ND filter and polarizing filter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think you have what you need now, that is the 18-135mm. However, you could add a 10-20mm to open up your shots. Eventually you might want to consider a 200-400mm lens, but for this trip, use either what you have or get a 10-20mm. Don't forget a graduated ND filter and polarizing filter.

Oh yes, filters! I hadn't thought about that. Now to find out which ones are best..

Edited to add: We also do a lot of hiking and camping in the warmer months so whatever I buy for this trip will be used often. MN is full of waterfalls. I currently do not own a tripod and am not sure I will enjoy hiking with one and all 3 children. Would a VR lens make handheld waterfall shots possible? I will probably be needing a filter for that as well.

VR will let you get to the very edge of those "milky" waterfalls, but only just barely. You can do it with 1/6th a sec, but that's really about as far as you can get hand-held, even with VR. Sometimes it takes a full second, and that's just not feasible with VR. I'd recommend that you look into the tripods - some of them are smaller and lighter than others. I definitely know what you mean about hiking with a big tripod and kids, but some are much easier than others. Of course, there are also lots of other opportunities than the "milky flow" sort of thing, but that's a lot of what people associated with waterfalls.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
VR will let you get to the very edge of those "milky" waterfalls, but only just barely. You can do it with 1/6th a sec, but that's really about as far as you can get hand-held, even with VR. Sometimes it takes a full second, and that's just not feasible with VR. I'd recommend that you look into the tripods - some of them are smaller and lighter than others. I definitely know what you mean about hiking with a big tripod and kids, but some are much easier than others. Of course, there are also lots of other opportunities than the "milky flow" sort of thing, but that's a lot of what people associated with waterfalls.
Thanks for the help! It looks like the list of stuff I need for our adventures this summer is just going to keep growing. I should probably seriously consider a light weight tripod.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom