Wide angle

Ok I'm so happy to be shooting Nikon again. I had to switch for financial reasons and a divorce. I picked up a d7000 after trying my lock with a 60D and efs lens's. I can tell you the 60D really is not the competitor for this d7000. I am completely blown away by this camera.

Anyway enough of my rant. I am looking for a ultra wide lens. I am partial to using nikon lens's ONLY. But the thing is biting me that i remember from the past is availability of Nikon equipment. I want the 10-24 but NOBODY has one and i cant even find a used one which I am very reluctant to do.

I am now considering the tokina 11-16, sigma 8-16. I have the 16-85 but want something really wide. Nikons 12-24 is just way over priced but readily available. Possibly tokina 12-24? The Tokina 11-16 seems to be extremely sharp and great colors from what i have found around the net. Im very intrigued by the 8-16. I had a couple Sigma lens's with my canon gear back in the early 2003 or so. I HATED the sigma lens's then. The colors always seemed to be to fake. The just didn't feel right to me.

Any opinions on the lens's ive listed or have any other suggestions?

I love my sigma 10-20. I know many others who love theres as well and think its one of sigmas keepers.
I have heard good things about the 8-16 and if I was rebuying a WA I would likely get the 8-16. The tokina is very appealing if you think you need the faster lens, it definitely gets good reviews

I have the Sigma 10-20 as well, (the older version which is sharper than the newer, and cheaper), it is very sharp, and the color rendition is phenomenal.

Hi Steve...
welcome back to Nikon...
I had the Sigma 10-20 and never did like the shots.
I now have the Tokina 12-24 and Tokina 100 macro.
These are really nice lenses. Sharp and good color.
Every time I use them I like them more.

The 10.5 fisheye is really ultra wide, and a great little lens.
It is lightweight, fast, f2.8...
Lots of folks straighten them, so for not much you could have a really
wide lens... and if you liked fisheye, you could have a 2 in 1!
Just a thought. This thread talks a bit about the best
straightening programs, and you could see what some of these
straightened pics look like... you will have to skim through to find
straightening talk...

Last edited by a moderator:
I own a Tokina 12-24 and I really love that lens. For a while I thought about trading it in on a Tokina 11-16 but decided against it. My reasoning was the following. On days when I'm traveling lite, one lens attached to my body, the range on the 12-24 is a lot more versatile than the 111-16 and at a constant f4 the Tokina 12-24 is fast enough for my needs.

Had the Tokina 11-16 before my upgrade. Missed it so much I got he new 16-28. On the DX the 11-16 is a workhorse.

Don't let your past experiences with the Sigma through you off. They still have a few problems with quality control but there newer stuff is getting better and better; just look at the number of people who love the new primes. I have the Sigma 10-20mm and I love it. Be sure to check out this thread to see what is possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't trade my Tokina 11-16 for a Nikon. It's better in the things that matter to me. Speed for night shooting and distortion for interior architecture.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom