Wide lens for Nikon...

Hi

My widest lens right now is a 50mm. I want a wider lens, which needs to be between 20mm and 28mm if it's a prime or maybe a zoom with more or less this range. I'm leaning towards a prime. It has to be relatively inexpensive. I'm not in the USA and will spend the equivalent of about $800 which is probably around $700 in USA prices.

My main use for it will be wider photos in concerts, capturing several players, etc. I now use mainly an 85mm and a 50mm for this. I'm usually between 1m and 5m from the players, with approx 2m-3m most often I'm guessing.

I would really prefer it is f/2 aperture or bigger but might consider an f/2.8 lens because it's wider. With the other lenses I shoot mainly in apertures f/1.8-f/2.2 and ISO 1600 to 12800, with ISO 3200 being the most common (1600 and 6400 are also very common, 12800 not used often).

Of course part of the reason for the large aperture is to shoot in low light but for the group shots at wide focus length I think maybe I can get away with 1/30 sometimes, which is why an f/2.8 lens is a possibility. I have a feeling a group shot with a wide lens might be more tolerable to motion than... but maybe it's my imagination?

I will consider every company but I'm pretty set on having AF unless there is an especially cheap but good MF option.

As with every lens I buy, I will try it here first before buying, but I have to order it and not sure what to order. The Nikon 28mm 1.8G is the lens I'm considering but I've seen almost no examples similar to how I want to use it and I'm not really sure what other options are there. It's a bit on the expensive side too.

Thank you for any suggestions

Last edited by a moderator:
Off the top of my head, Sigma has the 20, 24 and 28mm, all f/1.8.

Considering the circunstances, I think you should give them a try.

Ever considered the 35 f/2? It's not really *that* wide but it's hell of a lot wider than your 50 and it's a great lens IMO. :wink: I would not recommend the 24 2.8 if you shoot concerts because of its propensity to flare with all those lights. Your best bet is probably the 35 f/2, 28 1.8G or the new 18-35 AF-S (about the same price).

From your comments as to need, price etc, it would seem that the 28/1.8 does make the most sense. Were it me, however, the Sigma 35/1.4 would be the first choice as there is nothing that really tops it in the WA genre. I don't wish to be cavalier with your gelt but it's not that much out of your range.

Hi,

I just recently bought the Nikon AF-S 28/1.8 and I'm impressed. The lens performs really well. The AF is fast enough.

The Sigma 35/1.4 is certainly a candidate I'm longing for in the future, but when I'm standing right at the stage 28mm are more usable. I actually preferred 24mm, but the Nikon is far too expensive. I'm hoping for Sigma...

Cheers
Mike

If you are DX, you might like the lenses I use. All three are excellent...

Tamron 17-50 2.8
Tokina 11-16 2.8
Vivitar 7mm Fisheye 3.5

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I forgot to mention it's for FX.

If I get an f/2.8 lens then I guess I'd use it wide open probably 90% of the time, so it needs to be at least decent at f/2.8.

35mm is not wide enough. If it was I'd definitely consider the new Sigma eventhough it costs more.

The 20-35mm is a good option in many ways, but might be very difficult to find since I won't buy from ebay without trying or anything like that. Especially since price used is abotu the same as what I'm willing to spend.

BTW the quieter AFS (or equivalent) AF is a nice advantage in the concerts I shoot (not absolutely necessary but nice to have).

Looking at the Nikon 20-35mm on ebay, I saw a similar Tokina 20-35 for about half the cost. Anyone familiar with it?

The more I think about it, I think 28mm is the best FL and I'll look at the Sigma too (so far one review I found claimed it wasn't so good).

Thanks again!

Perhaps you should look at the 24/1.4. It's not the bargain that the 28/1.8 is, but it is a very strong performer, especially under low light.

Thanks, but I definitely won't spend that much on this lens.

I thought more and considered all suggestions. I think 28mm is the best FL. I'll see if the local store can order the Nikon 28mm 1.8G and the Sigma 28mm 1.8 and I'll test both. The Sigma has some pretty bad reviews... but I guess I'll have to try it myself. I'll also look for a used 20-35mm to check it but most likely I'll go with a prime.

Thanks again

Thanks, but I definitely won't spend that much on this lens.

I thought more and considered all suggestions. I think 28mm is the best FL. I'll see if the local store can order the Nikon 28mm 1.8G and the Sigma 28mm 1.8 and I'll test both. The Sigma has some pretty bad reviews... but I guess I'll have to try it myself. I'll also look for a used 20-35mm to check it but most likely I'll go with a prime.

Thanks again

I doubt that you'll be unhappy with the 28/1.8. I haven't heard a single complaint about the lens from anyone I know who has it.

I ordered the 28mm 1.8G. I'll test it when it gets here and if it's good I'll buy it. Now I probably need a new bag...

Thanks. It does look good in that review. It costs about 30% less than the Nikon if buying both from the official distributer, or about 40% less for grey import. It has two years warrenty as opposed to the Nikon's three years (or just one year for the Sigma if buying the grey import). It's not a huge difference overall so I'll try the Nikon first and go from there.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom