Wide open 180

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Uncle Frank, Jul 6, 2007.

1. The 180 at f/2.8 is insane.

2. jaydog

Jun 26, 2007
    Very nice UF.

As much as I love my 80 200 2.8 I know it won't match the 180 wide open.
  3. Very nice shot Frank!
    I am not a "tele" person, still the 180/2.8 is in my top lens choices.
    Here is my input, although not quite wide open, but at f/4.5

4. BTW, happy birthday Frank, you just made it to 5000 posts! (and they're always so nice for all of us to read)
  5. That lens -- in fact the one actually used in particular :wink: -- has always been one of my favorites.
    It makes you look for colorful backgrounds for your subject knowing that you can create a very pleasant blending blur backdrop.

Very nice shot.
    Did your model break into a full smile after your shot?
    Or did her expression head in the opposite direction?
  6. Hi, Glen. You sold me your 180 a year ago, and it immediately became one of my favorites. It renders images with the same "feel" as my 85/1.4, and I think of it as The Married Man's 200/2 :wink:.

7. Now, that really made me laugh!

What with you, Tosh and Nute all having shown what this lens is capable of, it makes it difficult to resist.
  8. Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Even some of us single guys prefer it's 'easy on the wallet and shoulders' approach.
  9. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

sure is (lovely image)...what bang for the buck!
  10. Hi, Jaydog, and welcome to the Cafe!

The 180 is pretty special, and I considered selling my 80-200 after I got it. But I'm glad I didn't, because the 80-200 is an amazing lens, too, and better suited for certain things than the 180. I particularly like it for hummingbirds...

but it does fine for any creature, be they big...

View attachment 104355

View attachment 104356

or even human :smile:.

View attachment 104357

So now that you've emerged from lurk-mode, join in the conversations and share some of your work.
  11. Oops, duplicate.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2007
  12. "The Married Man's 200/2"

I like that!

But maybe it should be The Wise and Prudent Married Man's 200/2. There are lots of us fools among the married.
    I'm still married, so I guess I was pretty good at keeping that lens a secret. :biggrin:
  13. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

hey Tosh ..just buy her that lens for her birthday,,just don't be surprised when she returns the grace with a new washer and dryer for yours ..lol

14. Well thanks a lot, Uncle Frank.....now I have to go buy a 180/2.8.:biggrin:
  15. Sorry, David.... but you'll love it :).
  16. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

u will b glad u did, David....;-)
    2.8 madness!!!
  17. Nute,

My wife wouldn't know the dollar difference between a 200vr and an 18-55 kit lens. Unlike your wife, who knows how to PP, mine can't tell the difference between a fully processed and unprocessed version of the same image. Since I'm the one who pays the bills, getting her a 200vr would have zero impact. She'd just think I was trying to get her interested in photography again. There's a pristine Pentax slr/lens /flash kit up in my closet that's had one roll of film go through it -- wife's birthday 1990.:rolleyes: A camera phone is plenty for her. :smile:
  18. Nute,

That particular image is so sharp and 3-D that I could swear he's in the room with me! :eek:
  19. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

lol Tosh ...well, you're a lucky man:biggrin:
    when i bought a new 30k fishing boat i had to buy my wife a new car ...lol
  20. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

perfect light and the right lens...as they say, "timing and oppourtunity":cool: