Wide open and you are good to go

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by nfoto, Oct 9, 2005.

1. nfoto

nfoto Guest

2. Wow! Was that done with one of your 0.75 lenses?
    Cheers

3. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Yes. 42 mm f/0.75, and a suitable flowering St.John's Wort in my garden an early morning. Quick and easy shot before breakfast.

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. wow

Hard to believe that the flare is real. Nice.

Dave

6. nfoto

nfoto Guest

X-ray optics used for everyday photography makes even the mundane unusual.

7. More than unusual...

It's more than unusual, it's fantastic.

Dave

8. JB

JB

May 27, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Impressive

Space science fiction comes to mind.

9. super shot...very abstract...love the flares :smile:

10. are those the natural colors as seen by the x-ray lens? Or did you have to tweak in post...
    Trying to get an idea of what to expect if I grab one... I'm moving to both continue to have fun and supplement it with creating art with my photography.

11. Bjorn, you are the master of other worldly art. Interesting and well done image. I am assuming the the lens flare caused the blue in the upper left??

12. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Yes. X-ray lenses don't have a coating made to cope with "natural" light and that together with their extremely large glass areas make them flare very easily. I see that as part of the fun of using them, so often try to provokea flare situation.

13. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Incredible. So good to see fine art exhibited and embraced here.

14. Did you have to tweak colors in post, or was there a custom WB involved, or is this pretty close to what came out of the camera?
    A side question about the Rodenstock 42/0.75, I see it uses a screw mount...is this of any particular size that would make it easy to procure an adapter to help it fit on the BR-2A to mount on a Nikon body?

15. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Colours are pretty much as out of the camera, although these lenses tend to impart a certain characteristic colour cast (remember, they were never designed for use with a visible light source). The cast from the 42/0.75 is brownish so I substract a little red and add a touch cyan to even out the colour cast of the highlights.

All of the X-ray lenses have an external thread of huge diameter for them to be screw-mounted into the X-ray machine. You cannot use this thread for anything useful, however, because (a) it's far too big and coarse-threaded and (b) going from there via step-down rings to an "F" mount, although feasible in theory, is highly impractical, since you would push the lens too much forwards from the camera. You desperately need to seat the lens as close as possible to the camera to get lower magnification and a more practical item for shooting. Remember the focal lengths typically are 40-50 mm so even a few mm of extension would greatly influence magnification.

In case of the 42 mm lens, you are already close to 1:1 which at f/0.75 results in truly massive amounts of spherical aberration. I mounted a 52 mm thread on it directly on the rear using a 52 mm Cokin adapter ring held in place by three screws. These lenses are all massive so you can drill holes into them almost everywhere :smile:

16. Ah....a nice quick, easy, and permanent method :)
    Is the Br-2A metal? is the adapter ring?
    Is there any particular distance I should aim to place it at?
    Thank you in advance...by the way do you have one of their other >f/1 lenses? like a 55mm? Do they use the same 52mm adapter to br-2a setup or do you have a different size?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2005
  17. nfoto

nfoto Guest

To answer your last question, here is the current list of true exotica,

Rodenstock Heligon: 42mm f/0.75, 50mm f/0.75 (8 lenses), 64mm f/1.25, 75 mm f/1.1, 95mm f /1.4,100mm f/1.5,100mm f/1.6

Oude Delft Rayxar: 50mm/0.75, 65mm/0.75

Kowa: 55 mm f/0.8

MATI: 86 mm f/1.2

Nikon: 85 mm f/1.0 Repro, 55 mm f/1.2 CRT, 55 mm f/2 Ultra-Micro-Nikkor, 28 mm f/1.8 Ultra-Micro-Nikkor

Unknown brand: 125 mm f/1.2 Mirror (not branded, just serial n.)

I may have forgotten a few, but the list is fairly complete

BR-2/2A is heavy metal, yes. And I only use mating 52 mm threads made from metal. These lenses are heavy.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2005
  18. JayR

JayR

Jul 6, 2005
    Redmond, WA.
    Wow. Incredible. It looks like an alien being staring down on a glowing flower.

Are any of these exotic lenses affordable (<$200 including modifications)? How do you track them down?

I really love your work. As someone mentioned, it is other-wordly but the most impressive thing is that it makes me think about the pictures and try to interpret them. Looking at your pictures, I just forget about any photographic technicalities & methodologies and just start thinking about it. Please keep posting as it does make us "mere mortal" photogs think more.

Regards,

19. nfoto

nfoto Guest

With a little patience and using the Net to ferret out candidate lenses, you could well end up with an "affordable" lens of your own, yes. Almost no one of my exotic lenses costs this much (exception Repro-Nikkor). Several were obtained for free from an X-ray Hospital department, other purchased for 5-30$ (mostly eBay, but those golden days may have come to an end I'm afraid).
    This is the way we always should approach an image.