Wide open macro

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by kramp, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Lately I have been playing with the macro lenses wide open at the biggest aperture and concentrating on color and composition and using the narrow depth of field to define the focal points.

I find it to be a lot of fun, I don't crop the pictures and try to frame them carefully. Also I do it hand held because I want look at things from many different angles.

The depth of field and amount of out of focus can be adjusted by how close I get to the focal point.

The narrow depth of field of macro becomes a big advantage and a bit of movement blur doesn't really hurt anything, it allows me to concentrate on composition and color which is something I want to improve in my pictures.

Not all of these are macro but they are all done with the 200 f4 micro or the Tamron 90 2.8 sp.

20664413-L.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    20666059-L.
    20666058-L.
    [​IMG]

There are more in my Wide Open Gallery.
    http://MartinD.smugmug.com/gallery/486351/2/20666059

Try it out and post the ones you like here, its great fun!

Martin

Attached Files:

2. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    You've got a really good eye...you are creative and not afraid to try something new just to see if it works. I love what you've done here. #3 and #4 are just beautiful!

3. Thank you Leigh, this is a nice safe place to try out the creative stuff.

Martin

4. Hey Martin, well done. I like what you are doing with the DOF. In the right setting these images would make some good wall hangers. I'm with Leigh, #3 and #4 are my fovorites.

5. Thanks Gordon, I may have to print some of those out to see how they look.

Martin

6. WOW!! Nice detail. I love the 4th shot!! :D :D :D

7. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    These are killer!!!

Attached Files:

8. I love 'em, Martin. One of my favorite shots with the 60mm micro is in the same theme:

#2 doesn't seem to fit with the series, though. Nothing is in focus, and it seems to be an abstract rather than a macro. But don't mind me; I have have an engineering background, and have a hard time understanding art :shock:.

9. Thanks Bryan!

Glad you joined in Uncle Frank, nice composition and color. Your right #2 is different, I should have kept that one for an abstract thread, and like you said what do I know about art I am just a mechanic.

Hummers are scarce so far this year I hope it picks up next month there are a few around but there not coming to the feeders, not one picture yet.

Martin

10. Thanks Chris, those are two of my favorites also.

Martin