Wide open sharpness of the 70mm f/2

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by cotdt, Jul 14, 2008.

1. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    How sharp is the 70/2 on a DX camera? How is the wide open performance? Does anyone have shots they can post?

2. rvink

rvink

Mar 21, 2006
    New Zealand
    Never heard of this lens.

The only 70mm prime I know of is the Sigma 70/2.8 macro, which is sharp by most accounts.

3. yeah......
    there is no such lens

...... is there?

4. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    It's a 50/1.4 with a 1.4x teleconvertor. There is a lot of hype about it, so I'm just wondering what all the hype is about.

5. paulskimcb

paulskimcb

Feb 12, 2007
    Midwest
    Just curious: why would you not just call it that?

6. rvink

rvink

Mar 21, 2006
    New Zealand
    First time I've heard about it (not that it means much).
    For what it's worth, only the Nikon TC14A and other "general purpose" 1.4x teleconverters will fit the 50/1.4 (and other wide to short tele lenses). These TCs cannot be optimised since they fit such a wide range of lenses. Overall I'd say that performance is average at best, and probably poor with very fast lenses. The TC-14E gives good performance with telephoto lenses because once you get above 200mm or so, the difference between lenses is small. It also has a protruding front element which prevents it fitting most shorter lenses.

Also, from memory, the TC14A will couple properly with lenses f1.8 and slower. Due to the size of the front element, putting a faster lens on it will not result in a faster TC+lens combo, so I doubt you'd get a 70/2 anyway, maybe 70/2.5 at best.

7. I second.

8. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    In that case, you can just remove the rear element on the 50/1.4 and get a 70/2. But you would need an extension tube or diopter to focus to infinity.

9. This thread has me confused. Really. On so many levels.

10. rvink

rvink

Mar 21, 2006
    New Zealand
    That's an interesting suggestion. I guess you'd end up with a "soft focus" type of lens, it wouldn't be very sharp wide open, because the optics aren't designed to have the rear element missing...

Maybe you should keep an eye out for a Cosina/Voigtlander 75/2.5 - with luck they may reintroduce it with a CPU like the 40/2 Ultron and 58/1.4.

Are the AIS 85/2 or AF 85/1.8 close enough?

11. I agree!

12. Sorry, you couldn't pay me to degrade the 50 f1.4 with a TC.

13. paulskimcb

paulskimcb

Feb 12, 2007
    Midwest
    Even if you got to call it a 70mm f/2 and confuse a bunch of forumites in the process?

14. Good point! :biggrin:

15. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Troll Alert!:eek: 

16. Give it a try and report back your success, or lack there of.

17. Wail

Wail

Aug 14, 2007
    Saudi Arabia
    Why not just get the 85 f1.8, and save yourself all the trouble?

18. Pete

Pete

Jun 10, 2006
    Denver, CO
    ??? Has anyone really looked at this ???
    The 50 1.4 has a rear element that protrudes past the mating surface of the lens. The TC14 has a front element that protrudes about 1/8" past its mating surface. I would not even attempt to put the two together. Maybe a third party TC might work but definitely not the Nikon units.

Well, that is my story and I am sticking to it...
    Pete

19. rvink

rvink

Mar 21, 2006
    New Zealand
    The TC-14 is the AI version of the AIS TC-14B, designed for use with telephotos.
    However, Nikon also made the TC-14A, a general purpose teleconverter for lenses up to 200mm.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.