Wide Open

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Phillip Ino, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    So, I did it. I got rid of The Beast :eek:. I used Lightroom to check what focal lengths I used the most and 95% were at the wider end of the spectrum. So I got myself a Nikkor 20-35mm 2.8 and boy is it sharp wide open! A lot sharper than my Beast was wide open. Perhaps it's a great marriage with my D300? Oh yeah, and it's a whole heck of a lot lighter! I'm very pleased with the results so far.

@ 2.8

2699262439_147081fb57.jpg

2. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Nice shot Francis, I've not heard a great deal about this lens but it looks to be working out great for you.

I look forward to seeing more images soon.

3. panda81

panda81

Feb 7, 2008
    Texas
    how interesting...what a cutie she is though :biggrin:

4. waltny

waltny

Mar 27, 2008
    Reno, NV
    its a pricely little lens for a limited focal length, but I bet I would really enjoy it also.

Great shot, skin tones look great, bokah is very smooth

5. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Thanks, Robert. I hadn't heard about it much either until last week, but I like it so far!

6. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    That I got rid of the Beast? Yeah it feels a little strange parting with it, but hey, it's just a lens, right? :wink:

7. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    It was very pricey when it first came out, but it can be had used for a rather good price. Thanks!

8. Hotplate

Hotplate

Oct 23, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Do you have any idea how this lens compares to the 17-35 2.8?

9. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Not sure, Cody. Only comparison I've read about was with the 17-55 2.8, with the 17-55 having a slight advantage wide open.

10. panda81

panda81

Feb 7, 2008
    Texas
    Yea, I meant since the focal range seems to be a little limited, and I haven't really heard anything about this lens before. Why did you choose this over the 17-35/2.8?

Edit: Doh, never mind, someone already asked.

11. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    I'll answer you anyway :tongue:
    It does seem a little limiting, however, it works for me since that's the range that I use the most. It's about half the cost of the 17-35 and starts right where my Sig 10-20 leaves off :smile:

12. interesting lens
    excellent image
    can't wait to see more

congrats on the lens

13. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    I know! I never even knew it existed. Thanks for looking, Greg! :smile:

14. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    i sold my beast for the 85 1.4
    i tended to shoot the long end of the beast and on the d3 70mm wasn't enough

very nice shot Francis

15. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Ahh! Now I don't feel so much like I've committed a sin by selling my Beast :wink:. Thanks for that, Randy! Although, it is a great lens, I think this one would serve me better. And it's sooo much lighter. Thanks :smile:

16. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

great lens Francis ...and no squeaky afs to deal with.....;-)))

17. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Very true! And no jiggling around either. Don't get me wrong.....I love jiggling...just not with my glass :wink:
    And it only takes a quarter of a turn to go through the whole focus rotation so it ends up being pretty quick on my D300 anyhow!

18. Francis Joseph Phillip Ino, you are oficially banned from future Order of the Beast meetings :tongue:. Please correct your signature line.

And congratulations on your new 20-35. Any lens you use is better than a Nikkor Legend that just gathers dust.

What are you going to buy with the extra money?

19. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

with all the "jiggling" i was thinkin his next stop might be -> Victoria's Secret?
    :wink:

20. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin

LOL. Truer words couldn't have been said. With the surplus, I have (already) purchased an Alien Bee and some odds and ends to complete my autopole background system :smile: