Wide & Prime Week

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Uncle Frank, Jun 20, 2005.

1. With no events to shoot, and plenty of egret and hummingbird pictures in my gallery already, I'm going to try an experiment . I've packed away my zooms and glued the 20/2.8D prime lens to my d70. I'll use it exclusively until the weekend, and see if I can come up with anything worth sharing.

A 20mm focal length and a foot zoom will be an interesting change of pace. If you'd like to walk the wide side with me, feel free to use this thread to post your results. I'll start it off with a shot I took a few weeks ago.

original.

2. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Frank,

What a great idea!

Here's one I took last week with my 20mm 2.8 AF on my D2X. PUtting it on the net made the colors fade and the original is much more lively.

THis was taken in Leland, Michigan. It's an old boathouse. This 20mm is a terrific lens and has not let me down yet. I like it very much and is one of my all time favorites.

Best to you,

Gaye

24835114-L-1.

3. It'll be great to have you along for the ride, Gaye!

Your sample is a beauty! As far as the colors are concerned, if you don't convert your image files to sRGB before you upload them to the web, they'll often look faded. The hosting sites aren't set up to handle Adobe RGB.

4. Great idea Frank. Don't know that I have time to do any shooting this week as I am still catching up from Italy but will look forward to your images. Gaye, it is nice to see your lovely image as well.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I have a 19mm on my CP5000 does that count :>))))))))))

6. If you're willing to set it at the long end, and leave it there all week, and not use any other camera? Sure.

7. chrisb

chrisb

May 8, 2005
    NY
    Frank,

I'd join you but can't seem to find my 20mm......

Hope you are enjoying it.

8. Monday

Monday

I'm amazed at how tiny the d70 feels with a button of a lens on it. First I shot some folliage around the house.

Lens flare is hard to avoid shooting up into the sky with a wide angle lens, but the effect didn't bother me too much.
    original.

The palm worked out better, but I think it's infected with a good case of moire.

Then I visited my buddy, Harry. He's kind of smiling, but I also think I startled him by getting so close. Harry's the neighbor
    who has a flock of hummingbirds in his yard, and you can see the reflection of one of his 6 feeders in the reflection on
    his patio door.
    original.

At that point, I decided to see how close I could get to the most active hummingbird feeder and still get a shot. I set up about
    2 1/2 feet away. It really upset the hummers, and some of the males hovered right in front of my face and read me the riot
    act. I caught a few shots, but they're not print quality.

My last shot, just before he kicked me out, was of Harry's garden.
    original.

This 20mm stuff is tricky. Plus, I had to walk around to compose :-(. Maybe I'll do better tomorrow :).

9. Day 2:

Shopper's delight
    original.

Got Coke?
    original.

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Doing good Frank,

Just saw your reply to me.. Maybe I'll charge up a battery and try... :>)))

Wrist and arm hurts to much to use big burtha and the RR....

lolol

11. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Frank,
    They don't make clean, neat stores like that where I live..

Here's another one I took today with my D2X and 20mm AF D ... Sure like this lens. The picture was much more wide angle but I had to crop it.

You can see I"m out in the farm country with the silos, corn and dusty roads.

BTW I did change this picture to sRGB..I'm curious to see if it gets better color.

Thanks for starting this thread...It gives me a mission for the week.

Best to you,

Gaye

I see the colors aren't great but they are in the original..

25723351-L.

12. HardBall

HardBall Guest

Gaye,

Since I'm "lusting" after a 20mm myself; why did you crop your shot? I was loving the view... Was there something obtrusive that you wanted to crop out?

13. It looks fine to me, Gaye... just too small for my aging eyes.

How about a 900 pixel wide version???

14. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Here it is uncropped. I made it 960 on the wide border and changed it to sRGB...so I'm slowly getting there :lol:

Tomorrow I"ll go out searching for water pictures with the 20mm.

No more cropping for me.....I tried to make the silos bigger so that's why the crop. Next time I'll stop by the road closer to the farm. Couldn't get my husband to stop for the second time and the dust was dense coming from the road---

Gaye

25756747-L.

15. Hey this looks like fun.

How about choosing a lens I have next time! :)

Nice photos.

16. Let me try. Here are some samples from my 20mm 2.8 lens. The first is my oldest son from August 2003. The rest are flowers in front of my neighbors house from June 21, 2005...

[​IMG]

and...

[​IMG]

Finally...

[​IMG]

Or you can look at the slideshow...

17. Frank, you started well off. I often do that with the 45/2.8 P. Using just one prime makes you more wary of the things going on around you, you really learn how to use the lens and you pay more attention to composition, etc.
    However, this is only satisfactory if you don't mind a bit of foot-framing.
    Cheers

18. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    GeeJay
    Much better uncropped -gives a nice feeling for the open flat countryside with the silos making a nice reference for size and distance. Thx

19. Nice, Scott! You made great use of the 20mm's DOF in both of those florals. The perspective distortion worked well in your son's picture, too, but low light necessitated a shutter speed that's left you with some motion blur.