Width of pictures in posts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by EdMac, Feb 4, 2005.

1. I don't know about others, but when someone posts a real wide picture in a post here, it goes off my 1024X768 screen, and I have to scroll horizontally to see the whole picture. This is annoying. The worst part is that all of the text posts below it are also too wide for the screen, and you have to scroll right to see the whole sentence. Maybe it is just me, and my system. Does anyone else have this problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :D

2. Think you have a point Ed. Perhaps 800pixel on the wide side would help?

3. Wide Pictures

I guess so Harris. I use my laptop quite a bit and scrolling is a bit of a pain with that. As far as pictures, I find the medium width that SmugMug provides does a nice job. :)

4. I generally use 600 on the longest dimension, which should keep things well in proportion. Most forums I know request this as the maximum, so that even those running at 640x480, luddites :wink: , can still see the images without horizontal scrolling.

My 1.5 cents worth for the day.....

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    At this point....

I hate to put too may restrictions on pic size. What you say though Ed makes complete sense. It would seem to me that common sense would dictate a picture that can be seen on the screen without scrolling.

Since most folks have at least a 1024 x 768 display, that would mean something below about 950 x 650.

OTOH, I don't want to tell Harris that he can't post a really big version of his first Eagle shot or something. :D

Regards,

Frank

6. I have noted the same annoying thing and agree with Ed. I'd say a good rule of thumb would be 800 x 600. Don't make it a restriction, just a suggestion :wink:

7. oddly I just noted that even when the photo is well within the window width, the text still runs too wide. It seems that when a photo is posted the window automatically runs to some sort of maximum width?

8. I also note that some posts seem to be wide even without a wide photo in them. Others are the correct width. I'll try to watch if there is a pattern.

I am on a Macintosh Powerbook with a 1024x768 screen using Safari if that helps.

Bob

9. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    This problem should be fixed now.

Thanks,

10. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Super work, Patrick

I love the way you've got things categorized, and the image width is perfect for me, since I surf @640x480. Bravo to everyone involved with this great improvement! :lol:

11. Talk about quick repsonse, I dont care......

what Harris says about you two!!!lol