Wild flowers near the Charles River

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by BostonRott, Aug 3, 2007.

1. There's an old abandoned stretch of road which runs right down to the Charles river. Emilie and I took a stroll this a.m. and saw lots of gorgeous wild flowers. :smile:

Below is a view looking back up the road and several of the flowers that we saw. I must admit disappointment in the flower shots.....and I can't put a finger on "why." Maybe that they're boring? Commonplace? Any suggestions on improvement with composition would be greatly appreciated! :smile: Also would like opinions on the composition of the road shot. It is cropped to an 11x14 aspect ratio.

Flowers were shot with 105 Micro on a tripod, using Mup and cable release. There was some wind (I *swear* it follows me around when I'm trying to shoot macro flowers!). Road scene is hand held with 28-70mm. PP involved cropping and sharpening.

Thistle
    View attachment 109437

View attachment 109438

View attachment 109439

2. I am not a flower person and will leave the critique on those to the experts.
    Now, for the first image: just wonderful! I feel like I am walking with you on this path in the woods. I like the back light through the trees and the contrast in the vegetation. Nice!

3. Thank you Frits! :smile:

Because it's so humid, there was also some haze and I liked how the light was coming through the haze and the leaves. I tried to expose so as not to lose detail in the bark. It's shot in RAW, and as I look at it more, I may go back and tweak the "exposure" a bit. :smile:

4. Beautiful pictures Gretchen. The colors are well saturated and the composition is good on all of them. The flower images are will done with enogh DOF to view the flower well but yet threw the background out. Nicely done.

5. Thank you Gordon!

The thistle is shot at f/8, and I wondered if that were enough depth to put at least half of it (depth-wise) in focus. I do think that worked out ok.

The yellow flower is f/16. It's a "long" flower, almost like a pitcher plant and I was shooting into it. I wanted to try to bring some of those spots into focus in the back of the flower. At f/8, you don't even notice them.

The 105/2.8 (non-VR) goes to f/32 but I'm not sure at what point you start getting edge softness/distortion due to the aperature being too small. So I didn't venture beyond f/16.

Does anyone know, is f/22 still ok on this lens? Thanks!

6. These are very well done. The pale touch me not (Yellow, 3rd image) is very difficult to capture well and you sure did. Great detail and sharpness in all of them.

7. Thank you Dave, for the comments and the ID. :biggrin: I have no idea what either the yellow or blue flowers are. They were all nicely shaded, it was around 9:30a when I was shooting. May try to get back there tomorrow, there's another flower I'd like to capture (didn't like today's shots of it).

8. husawis

husawis Guest

Gretchen - Dave is right the pale jewelweed is very well done - hard to get a good shot of these flowers - I have used f/32 with this lens with no problem - others report a mixed bag - so it may be copy dependent - Dave if you read this do you know what the blue flower is - it looks like an asiatic dayflower but I am not sure - nice work Gretchen

9. Gretchen,
    I am a self-taught amateur, so please take my comment from that starting point:smile:
    In fact my answer is in the form of a question. Which of the pix below do you prefer ??? Assume the 1st one to be in focus, but I need it to make my point.

http://www.pbase.com/charliepackard/image/83305132/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/charliepackard/image/83305133/original.jpg

As you can see, the 1st is the bottom left hand corner of the 2nd pic.
    I know the 2nd isn't really a keeper without a crop, but, to me, it is much more interesting.
    I have been in your situation so often...and then disappointed with the result. The basic problem is that wild flowers don't get together often...wouldn't it have been more interesting for all of yours if there had been several of the same flowers together, at different stages of development??
    Perhaps not :smile:...but at least it is a point of view.
    Your first is gorgeous...an absolute cracker...as they say in some parts this side of the pond.
    All the best

10. Sugar, sugar, sugar !!!
    Sorry Gretchen, I have forgotten to add something to my pix links:mad:
    I shall study the instructions again

11. SSchex

SSchex

May 18, 2005
    Louisiana, USA
    Excellent images. You're not the only one the wind follows when shooting macro!

12. The first is really good! An amazing depth is captured just with the trees, the road makes it even better!

The flowers look good too.

I try to get good flower portraits for a while now. And have concluded so far, that it might not be possible on the run but only with more equipment:

Get rid of direct sunlight (to prevent those blown highlights).

So right now I'm trying to shade them with a diffuser, and sometimes even use flash (no wind problems here :Crunk:) through a diffuser.

To get the ultimate clean background either cut them and place in studio.
    Or, what I do, put some paper (I have different colors) behind them.

Please mind: These are just some amateur ideas, other might know better....

13. Hello Gretchen.

Beth says the blue flower is the Dayflower (Commelina erecta), of the Spiderwort family.

Very nice images. There is nothing blooming here in the heat and humidity of late summer.

14. Oh Gretchen! :eek: That first photo looks sooooo inviting for a walk or bike ride! Then those beautiful flowers just complete the picture! Nice job! :biggrin:

15. Thank you Michael! :smile: Never thought of using a diffuser for shade, that's a wonderful idea. I will also make a point to not photograph "in sun" flowers on macros anymore, I agree, those blown highlights are just terrible.

Hi Jim,
    Please tell Beth "thank you very much!" I tried my hand at Iris this Spring, need more practice! :rolleyes:

Thank you Dianne! :smile: Were it not mosquito infested and poison-ivy laden, it would be an ideal spot to hang out! :tongue: