Wild hogs!

Whew, just wondering. We were watching a special tonite about how ferrel pigs...(sp?) or wild boars are taking a stronghold in 40 states or more. Just wondering, have any of your nature photographers encountered any of these in the wild.

I trek often to some pretty remote areas in the southeast, and western states and have not run into any, but the program depicted them as pretty large and fierce creatures. They went on to say they don't have many natural preditors other than man, cougar and bear. Has anyone encountered these in the field?
- Jeri Ann

i prefer to shoot wild pigs with a 70lb Fred Bear compound bow whenever possible.

they are a pox on the land in Australia and cause horrific damage.

They're everywhere around here - and have become quite a nuisance. Like sambo, I prefer to shoot them with something other than a camera. I prefer my Winchester Model 100 .308.

A buddy of mine is trying to get me to go with him when he goes deer hunting. My job will be to bring my AR with the .458 SOCOM upper and hunt the boars that have been invading the area.

They are a real aggravation to landowners and hunters. But like most wild animals, they are generally not dangerous unless you happen to sneak up on one. That said, I do carry my .45 caliber "repellant" when I am in areas where they are around. And if you ever find yourself in their company, they can't climb trees...

Do they yell "hold my beer and watch this" before jumping? :biggrin:

I had some friends who used to "mark" them when I was younger. Using horses at night, you chase one down, drop off on it, hog tie it and mark it. Never big boars, and always with a good overwatch. Once marked, on deer leases, other hunters would generally leave them alone. I rode with them several times, but generally stayed on the horse as overwatch.

When out hunting I encounter them all the time. I see signs of them and on occassion run into them when just out in the woods. Aren't ever really a problem. Only time I have ever had one give me a scare it was a young sow with piglets. For the most part I prefer to shoot them with a 65 grain .223 or 150 grain .308 though. They can be nasty creatures if they feel cornered.

i know a few guys who knife hunt them....they corner them with dogs and then hop on their backs!
a couple of good dogs is the best way to hunt pigs.

with a rifle, you might (if ur a damn good shot) get 3 from a mob of 10.

2x decent dogs and you'll take 8 from 10.

you do need a good knife however.

Only time I have ever had one give me a scare it was a young sow with piglets.

i made the mistake of getting between a sow and her piglets once.

damn sow damn near rolled the landcruiser.

Several years ago I was visiting Savannah NWR and had pulled off on one of the turn-off areas and was taking pictures when I heard a commotion in front of me only to see a big ole' wild hog charging out of the bushes right towards me ...
Probably the fastest I'd ever jumped back into a car :smile

and yes I was actually watching a show a couple weeks ago about them and I was surprised just how far they've migrated and how much damage they can do to lawns etc ...
you guys down south can keep them ---

ron

Feral hogs are nothing more than domestic hogs that escaped their pen. I have probably killed 20 or more and seen hundreds. The old wive's tale about them charging is just that. They are like most wild animals and would rather get out of your way. I have had them run buy me when I was between them and where they want to go. Down south we also have Russion Boars (Razorbacks). They were imported form Europe to hunt many years ago. I have never had one charge but they will stare you down. GH

Nope, no feral piggies here. The only feral animals in Banff are tropical fish in the marsh loop by the hot springs.

Canmore has feral bunnies and I can attest that not only do they poop every where but they are cute as all get up.

The only pig I've ever skewered is the pork chops that I buy at the safeway, and then only after I've cooked them to medium well.

We call them Javelinas here in Arizona and yes I have encountered them several times. One day I scared the hell out of one when I came up on him unexpectedly, he shot off fast in the opposite direction. I carry my .45 for the times when they care to choose otherwise. You could carry bear repellent to fend they or any other animals. It has a good spray distance and wont kill them if you arent into ending it that way.

Two years ago as I was heading back to my RV driving from Cape Coral (owls) to Titusvile the truck in front of me hit a good sized one and spun out and went into the ditch and brush on the side of the road. Beat the guy, and his wife up a bit but their tiny little baby was OK. As he tended to his wife I hooked my 4x4 to his with chains and soon had him back on the road. He helped me load the hog into my truck and we were on our way. Him to the hospital to get his wife checked out and me to give the hog to a friend of mine that thinks fresh roadkill is a gift from God. Country boy can survive. You can get flaged on this site by talking about shooting vermin.

Latest threads

Top Bottom