Wild Horses Update, July 7 Part Three

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by davidwcramer, Jul 7, 2007.

1. A few days ago I was looking for the horses around my village, and went to the Northern most extreme of fenced territory where they are likely to be. If you are looking on a map, this is up by the next town, Algodones. I noticed a large pack of horses north of the fences, with a white stallion. I first thought he was my regular white stallion and had been very successful in stealing all the mares, but as I got closer I begin to realize this was pack I had never seen before. These horses are not as habituated to people, and even though I saw them around a new housing complex, they immediately bolt off into the hills when a human gets out of a car or comes out of a house. Someone is putting hay out for them (although they obviously don't need any extra feed), so they are coming in to get the hay (which they seem to prefer over grass - kind of like "would you like ice cream or spinach?"). At first I could only get distance shots with the 300 or 400 plus 2.0tc.
    [​IMG]

This white stallion has four mares (two bays and two paints), one male yearling (far right) and four babies.
    [​IMG]

They come down from the hills in the morning, but I've not yet seen them here in the afternoons/evenings. One day, after I noticed they bolted from me into a crevice between two hills, I decided to hike along one of the hills to see if I could follow them. I could climb up to the top of the hill to look down on them, and saw that they hadn't run far, and were now grazing slowing in one direction. I walked fast ahead of where we were, climbed the top of the hill, and hid behind a cedar tree hoping they would come up grazing at this spot. I chose it partly for the background of a distance mesa. My luck was good, and they came up grazing right where I was. Unfortunately, the lead mare actually grazed right up to my tree! As soon as she spotted me, they were gone in five seconds! I did manage to nab a few shots before they bolted. I had not wanted to "surprise" them this strongly, but had hoped they wouldn't come right up to where I was, so I could get some closer shots, but keep a safer distance from them. As it was, I could have touched her on the nose before she spotted me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the stallion giving me one last look.

[​IMG]

Before taking his pack off into the distant arroyo. far, far away from the silly photographer.

[​IMG]

Needless to say, it's been quite the thrill finding this new pack of beautiful horses.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow Fantastic again.
    He is a strong Stallion with all those gals:>)))))

No wonder he stays far away to keep them for himself:>))))))

Keep posting David I love these wild horses

3. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Great find David. I enjoyed reading about your adventures. The pack looks very healthy. Great shots of the new pack.

4. WOW! David these brought a lump into my throat! They're gorgeous! Geez, we need to plan a trip out your way! Just dunno when! Keep em comin!

5. Schnauzermom

Schnauzermom

Apr 13, 2007
    Michigan
    These are my favorites yet....

6. Your pictures and the story to go with them (each time) are just a delightful treat! Thank you so much for sharing these guys with us! :smile:

7. Geej

Geej

Aug 11, 2005
    Northern Colorado
    Another beautiful series of the wild horses.

8. Thanks Gale. He is a big fella. I was glad he decided I was no threat and went off to join his pack!

This was an exciting adventure. Thanks for commenting Torben.

They really are a pretty pack of horses. My guess is they mostly reside on Native American Pueblo land, and belong to one of the Pueblos. Horses are apparently not a spirit animal to the Natives, and they generally let them roam free. After a few generations, they are mostly wild and have never been handled by humans.
    Mine too. Thanks Lisa.

I very much appreciate your comments Gretchen.

Thanks Gloria!

9. A fantastic series David and thanks for the update. Beautiful images, #4 is a hanger for sure.

Louie

10. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    It must be so thrilling watching the wild horses. Your photos are magnficent.

11. Thanks Louie. I sold a print of #4 the same day I took the image.

Thanks for looking and commenting Terri. These horses can be thrilling to watch at times, although they spend most of their lives grazing.

12. David, just stunning images once again. Very well presented and always enjoy your stories that go with them.

13. An incredible series and story, David. Something magical about the light in that first shot - great family portrait! :smile:

14. David I can see your passion for these animals in your photography on them. I hope you get to do many more to share with us as these are just great heard warming photos.
    Lou

15. Hey David -

I just saw these, and will go check out part 2 next.

Congratulations on discovering a new pack, and I hope that this will be the first of many encounters with them.

Thanks for giving us the photo record and the story. #s 1, 3, 4 and 6 are are amazing (and I suspect it was a challenge to hold the highlights in the typical bright NM light).

Your pal,

Eric

16. I agree, they are so beautiful and free, it brings a lump to your throat. I too love to read your description of the horses and their lives. Thank you

17. brilliant! thanks for sharing

18. Thanks Jim!

They are a good looking family alright. Thanks Sandi.

Much appeciated Lou.

Thanks Eric. Don't forget to check out Part One. I generally look for the horses in early morning or pre sunset light, which protects against the harsh NM sun. When white and black horses are in the same image, I shoot with -.07 ec to protect the white highlights.

You are quite welcome!

Thanks for your comment.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  19. What a great find! Beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing these with us.