1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Wild Lilies Redux

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Harry Lavo, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Those of you who hung around here a year ago may recall that I had a five-bloom cluster of lilies appear in my garden that hadn't bloomed there in the previous three years.

This year I nearly had a disaster....thinking that if they were going to bloom, they would have done so earlier along with the daffodils and tulips, I started to pull up the stalk while weeding the garden. I quick realized my mistake and replanted the stalk and tied it to a garden torch....and was rewarded this week with three blooms. I went back and looked at the dates on last year's pics, and sure enough, they are right on schedule.

original.

I've got several shots over in pbase, including full size blow-ups for pixel-peepers and comparison of sharpness and coloration from two versions of the Sigma lens I used to take the pics, if anybody is interested.

http://www.pbase.com/hflphotos/wild_lilies__two_sigma_lenses

Thanks for looking.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2008
  2. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Nice one, Robert. Pleasantly clear :smile:

3. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Beautiful color, Harry. [Makes me want to go downstairs and get a dish of vanilla ice cream (with maybe a little honey added).:smile:]

4. That "honey" is a function of the multicoaing that made this a DG Sigma lens, Bob. The older version has a more neutral color cast. Not sure yet whether I like the color of the new one as much...but it doesn't have flare problems like the older one.

However, somewhat beside the point. I'm glad you like the pic. I do too.

5. Nice shot Harry, and good save while weeding!

6. Thanks Rich. Boy, I feel the same way...I felt terrible about pulling it out...I intend to replant it deeper in the fall in the hopes that I will get more blooms next july. It is a beautiful plant.

7. Stunning !!!!! nice work Harry

8. Thanks, Pat. I found these in my backyard, but I found the beautiful tiger-lies I show in another post in YOUR backyard. Easthampton continues to be good to me, photographically.

Glad you liked 'em.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.