Critique Wild Turkey

Recently spent a couple of days in Jacksonville, in southern Oregon. We were staying at a Airbnb 10 miles out of town on a working cattle ranch. There was a flock of about 15 wild Turkeys that let me get close enough with my 200-500. Just about at dusk (6 pm) hand held, so auto ISO was my friend.

Turkey025_Nik.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Turkey067_Nik.jpg

Turkey069_Nik.jpg

Last edited:
You can't walk up to them or make rapid moves around them. They will slowly but decidedly move away. But they can walk up to you if you are very still. I had a half fence to screen my moves but they still left the open ground for the woods.

There's a nice article in todays Spokesman Review about their status in Washington: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/oct/20/turkeys-in-washington-invasive-species-conservatio/
Good article Nick, thanks for the link. I grew up in Spokane, relatives all over Moscow, Pullman, Colfax, nothing bigger than a grouse back then. Used to flush them out with a combine during harvest time.

I talk to Spokane most mornings (a ham thing) and may bring it up. We visit there several times a year, will keep my eyes open.

Have run into a wild, or at least loose, peacock over here. They are nasty, not afraid of anything.

Good catch, Nick. I had heard that they are pretty tame in parts of the West, especially California. Not so around here. We have a pretty good population of them in the forests around us, but they are very skittish. Getting a good photograph requires stealth and a long lens.

Latest threads

Top Bottom