Wild Turkeys

Caught a wild male turkey strutting his stuff for 3 hens. I tried to get close but as you can see he was eye balling me and I just couldn't get closer with the 18-105 lol. Turkeys are known to have a temper and even more so when trying to score some feather tail. If he would have charged, he would have caught me no problem. 105mm is so short lol.

It's a shame I didn't have longer reach as this guy was out there for hours. My approach pushed them in the tall grass and eventually in the woods. So although I took 25 shots, most weren't good(evident with these that are the two best lol).

Time to get the wife approval for a Nikon 300mm F4.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 903511

Last edited by a moderator:
Really cool shoots. You DO need the 300/4, it is a great lens. I like it better than the 300/2.8, is is so much lighter, and so much more affordable. Keep 'em coming.

m

Thanks all for the comments.

Yes, that was a second male peaking his head up and down watching this other male(and me more than likely). Good eye!

I've been watching the used market for a nikon 300 f4 hoping to catch one at a good price and in good shape. I've also been looking at the Tamron 70-300 vc which I can get at Abes right now for $430 plus a $50 manufacture rebate($380). But I think I'd be happier with the prime at the end of the day.

Tyr-Sog, you wont be dissapointed with the 300 f4. I use mine all the time and when you have good light it handles a 1.4 TC very well.

Great shots also.

I ended up getting the Tamron 70-300 VC locally today. It was in my budget at $399 (After rebate) while the Nikon 300 f4 seem to consistently go for around $600-$750 in auctions(and KEH).

I liked what I saw from the reviews and peoples examples from the tamron and seems like a lot of lens for the $$$. At least I have some range now :D

Caught some of these guys again today and shot them with the Tamron. Not as sharp as I would have liked. I'm assuming 300mm(even with vr/vc) is a bit different than 105 as far as hand holding and I'll need to work on technique.

These guys were meandering out on to the golf coarse in the morning sun. Just came out from out of the woods and I only could get so close because they were in the open.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom