Wild Turkeys

Discussion in 'Birds' started by greyflash, Oct 21, 2005.

1. These images were taken at the base of Mt. Diablo in Alamo, CA. There was a flock of 18 turkeys on the hill above my daughters house so I hiked up to see if I could catch them. I was unaware that my dog followed me and I just had time to get this first shot before he scattered them. One of the turkeys lit in a tree and I was able to get the second image and then he took wing and I caught the third image in the air.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very well done Gordon. If I remember right, this is the 2nd flight shot you've posted too (after the one from Italy).

Good reactions on all of them. :wink:

3. Gordon,
    These birds are EXTREMELY difficult to get close too. Nices shots! How did you mange to get that close?
    Dave

4. Your right about this being my second "flying" post. Course Turkeys are not the fastest bird on the planet. :eek: :smile: Still this might be a precursor of things to come.

5. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Les Nesman was right!!!!!! Turkeys can fly!

6. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Nice captures, Gordon. Really like the bird in flight. Are the weeds as dry as they look in that first pic? Looks like one spark would set it all off (shudder!).

7. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Nice turkeys and tough to get a decent shot of, even turkey hunters gotta camo all up!! You did well with these.

these are still missing from my collection :smile:

8. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Nice shots, Gordon! Getting close like that and getting the flight shots still makes it a good day even if the dog scared them away!

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Good show Gordon...:>))

So the doggy ruined your turkey shoot. Thats a hoot in istself.

Good job.

Love the one in the tree

10. Hi Patrick, turkeys can indeed fly and they make quite a racket when they do so.

Dave, you are right, they are a very skittish bird.

Jerry, most of California is dry like that this time of year. That's why they say the "golden hills of California." When the rains come the hills all turn green and it is beautiful.

Ben, yes they are difficult to get a decent shot of. I was lucky after having crept up an arroyo to get within shooting distance with my 70-200mm lens.

Dave and Gale, thanks for your comments. The dang dog at least scared them into a tree.