Wildflower closeups

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Pa, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Sometimes common wildflowers reveal surprising details when photographed up close with a macro lens. Here are a few examples.

1. Wild geranium
    _D729561-XL.

2. Great chickweed
    _D729563-XL.

3. Canada violets
    _D729573-XL.

4. Blue phlox
    _D729583-XL.

Photographed Saturday, 15 April. D7200 with Nikkor 85 f/3.5 micro.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Really nice...! :)

I used to have the 85 micro and liked it. May get another someday...

3. Nailed it again! The chickweed is a new one for me. Is it known by any other name?

4. It is also called "star chickweed". You may have seen them and not paid much attention to them as they might look like just weeds. Here's a picture of a batch of them made by my wife:

DSC_5060-XL.

5. Star Chickweed. Okay, that's in my field guides. I'll be looking for it! :)

6. Stellaria pubera.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thanks, William. I have five macro lenses :shame:(six if you include the 28-105) but I probably use that 85/3.5 most. Very light, sharp, and it has VR.

8. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    Beautiful shots Jim. Thanks, I didn't know they made a 85mm macro lens.

9. Thanks, Rick. The 85 micro is a DX lens.

10. As Jim pointed out it's a DX lens. IMO it's the DX equivalent of the 105 micro in
    performance just the crop frame version.

I had to sell mine a few years back because of some financial difficulties at the
    time but his post reminds me of just how nice a lens it was. I think I'm going to
    get another one... ;)

11. Lovely series! Nice details and perfect color.

12. Beautiful colour and I like the various angles. I was looking for some real life samples of this lens, I may have found my next lens.
    Thanks!

13. Thanks, Ted

It's hard to fault the lens. Some complain that it's only f/3.5, but that is no concern of mine as I'm usually looking for maximum depth of field.

14. Same here. When shooting so close depth of field disappears fast. For bugs and such I used to start
    at f16 with this lens and push it all the way to f20 (max) if needed. But I'd try to keep it no more than
    f18-19 if I could... ;)

15. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    These are beautiful, Jim!! We have such a short wildflower season here. You are luckly to be out and shooting them!!

16. Thanks, Terri. We've had an unusually abundant season here this year.

17. rcooper

rcooper

Jan 12, 2008
    elba,al
    Ralph
    Love all of them,Jim.

18. Great shots, Jim! The color in #1 is electric, and I love that chickweed!

19. Thanks, Ralph.

Thanks, Dossy. I was surprised at the chickweed since they look so uninteresting at normal viewing distance.