Wildflower ID?

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Mitchell, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Just returned from the Poconos where these wildflowers were everywhere. They really are beautiful, but I don't know their proper name. Anyone??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. I just know that they are pretty. Sorry I am not of any help in the naming category.

3. I would guess an iris of some sort or a wood lily. All the plant guides we have are for the Rockies and Alaska, I'm sorry to say.

4. My wife says these are just the common Day Lilly, not a wildflower at all.

We made a special trek last week to see a few specimens of a rare wild lily called "Turk's Cap". We actually saw only one in the wild, but noticed a whole bunch growing right beside the road later in the day!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2007
  5. O.K. I finally got the Turk's Cap Lily uploaded.

Moved to here.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  6. paulski

paulski

Mar 3, 2006
    Central NY
    common name - roadside daylily

Technical name Hemerocallis. There are thousands of named varieties, this one looks like the native variety.

Recent hybrid versions are tetraploids, the newer, fancier name, genetically engineered

7. Thanks for the ID on this one. Hard to believe such beauties are commonly found by the roadside!