1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Wildflower/weed?

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Bob Coutant, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    I found this growing near the edge of my woods. The colors are so intense it looks as though it might glow in the dark. [No enhancement to the photo] The plant is about 2.5 ft. tall, and the flower clusters are ~2 in. across -- some of the elongated leaves can be seen in the photo. [I included the ants as size reference for the florets.:wink:]

Any insights concerning its identity would be appreciated. Mystery solved -- It's Butterfly Weed (Aslepias tuberosa) -- courtesy of www.mywildflowers.com

DSC_1763sm.
    NIKON D70    ---    44mm    f/13.0    1/125s    ISO 200

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2007
  2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I can't remember the name, but they grow here for hedges. Or stand alone.
    VEry pretty they are

Very pretty image of them

3. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Hmm... Gale, I'm pretty sure this is an annual, and the plant doesn't look sturdy enough to be used as a hedge. Nonetheless, if you remember the name please let me know -- your suggestion is the only direction I have so far.

4. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
  5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Well it sure looked similar. Sorry I led you in the wrong direction
    Still very pretty.

6. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    No problem Gale -- I appreciate your interest. If you do remember the name of the hedge, please let me know -- a "butterfly hedge" might be just the ticket for one corner of my yard:smile:.

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl

lolol

Guess the weed

8. A weed is a wild flower that is growing in the wrong place.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Bob F.

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    They are all flowers to me:>)))))

Weeds ar the junk that takes over your grass:>))

10. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Looks like dill (Anethum graveolens), but the butterfly is one from south of the Mason-Dixon line.

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Correct.
    You are good Bob

Yes in Fl.
    Common name Zebra Butterfly

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.