Wildlife in Monterey Bay, CA

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Philippe Roger, Jan 2, 2006.

1. We took a whale watching tour last week between the storms, and managed to see one whale (pretty tough to shoot though) and some other wildlife. The rest of the gallery is here: http://proger.smugmug.com/gallery/1080949

Basking in the afternoon sun
    [​IMG]

Nap time
    [​IMG]

Peaceful coexistence
    [​IMG]

Resting a bit
    [​IMG]

The ellusive grey whale
    [​IMG]

All shot with the D2H and 70-200VR + 1.7TC in VR active mode, from the boat.

2. Johntu

Johntu

Jul 4, 2005
    Fremont, CA
    Wow, very nice shots, I have to go to Monterey Bay sometime.

3. Very nice series Philippe.

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice series Philippe. My favorites are the 2nd and the last one, but all are good. :smile:

5. nice shots Phillipe! I went there a couple years ago with Mary, and then to Carmel. Want to do a whale tour too!

6. Excellent shots I sure would like to get out and see these guys sometimes, you are making it so tempting.

7. Love that first one -- reminds me of a kid with an innertube float !
    GREAT composition in the 2nd one and lovely brown colours.

8. #2 is my favorite. Nice job on all of these, Philippe!!

9. Great stuff. It reminds me when we were there two years ago. I remember looking out at the moored sail boats and wondering why they had screens up around the boat. I realized why when I saw one sail boat with at least eight of these guys in the boat. Wish I had a picture of it.

10. Why, thank you all for your nice comments. It was a very enjoyable afternoon, even if the whales weren't plentiful or particularly cooperative. Of course, my wife wouldn't say the same thing, given the large swells in the sea and the color she was sporting while on the boat ride! :rolleyes:

My personal favorite of this series is #3: the peaceful cohabitation of the sea lions is not just with the birds, but also with humans, their structures and their toys.

Thanks again. :biggrin:

11. I too find that I enjoy number 3 the most. this is a very nice series. would love to experience this firsthand.
    Dave