Will I embarass myself (more than usual)?

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Jerry Snider, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Turns out that the orchid I quickly photographed (Nodding Ladies' Tresses) last week is a new plant to our local county park system and the park naturalists have requested a photographic document of it. I intend to give the 13" x 19" "snapshot" (shown below) but only if it is considered decent and in good taste. Sincerely appreciate your input on this one. The print looks considerably brighter and crisper than shown below.

[​IMG]

Thanks for the input.

2. Hi Jerry.

I cannot see any problem with what they are requesting nor what you wish to give them. We had to supply I print/slide of the following for a new species in situ.
    1. Taken with a wide angle lens at a low level to show specimen in habitat.
    2. A close-up of the plant in flower and leaves.
    3. A very close picture of the flower and any pollinator that may have been present at the time.

Now you have all of these in your original post so there is no problem. As to the print that you are showing it certainly looks great to me.

The only problem I had with this type of thing was on investigating a small strip of beechwood near my home that was adjacent to an old quarry I found and had to record 8 species new to the area. Teach me to go poking about where other people had not been.

BW. Bob F.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2005
  3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    ROFL!
    Certainly in good taste, pretty even. But decent? Why are the ladies nodding?

It's really a beautiful photo. They will be very fortunate to receive this from you.

4. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    [partial QUOTE=Bob the Spiderman]
    The only problem I had with this type of thing was on investigating a small strip of beechwood near my home that was adjacent to an old quarry I found and had to record 8 species new to the area. Teach me to go poking about where other people had not been.

BW. Bob F.[/partial QUOTE]

Bob, Thanks for the quick response and your usual thoughtful input. Yes, I know what you mean when one pokes around in untread habitat. Have had similar such experiences myself. And, of course, an old quarry is ideal habitat for new local records (as are railroad tracks and really old cemeteries). The only thing unusual re the habitat for the orchid is that the county is pretty much limestone shale and there is this one very small acid soil area in one of the local county parks. Have discovered all kinds of neat things there, rare for the county but quite common to the eastern sandstone portion of the state. So this is nothing too exciting--more interesting than anything else.

5. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Thanks for the quick response, Chris. I really do appreciate the input.
    I suspect the ladies are lowering or nodding their "heads" because they are extremely shy--although certainly not to the point of blushing!
    I really don't like doing this sort of thing, so am perhaps a bit overly sensitive re the product.

6. Personally I really like it. It just kinda yells out at me.. Excellent work. Hope to see you around as a fellow Cincinnatian :)

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I think it is very beautiful Surely printed it is stunning compared to the net.
    Very delicate and beautiful flowers.

I would go with it.

If you are not comfortable with it. You could try shooting some more of it.
    Different times of day. Different DOF etc.

I do think it is a great image.
    I am sure they will be pleased.

8. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

The photo is just right.

I'm still a bit woozy from meds so I don't understand the refernece to "decent and in good taste".....anyone applying that in a negative context to this photo of this plant needs to spend a lot of time in psychotherapy.

I believe Freud said, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar".

9. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Thanks for the comments, MWilson, Gale. I shot exactly what I wanted, but that may not mean much to others. Wanted subtleness, enough depth of field to show some of the subdued fall colors in cool, early morning light.
    Ken, thanks for the input. I suppose when I said "decent and in good taste" I likely was referring more to the framing/lettering, hoping it wasn't too gaudy in contrast.
    Thanks to all for your prompt and encouraging responses.

10. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I think it is perfect

They should love it. I really like the framing and presentation of the photo.

11. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Thanks Terri for the comments. Appreciate them from someone who lives in God's country! (Oops! I meant Idaho, this may have come across wrong! Sorry).

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2005
  12. What a delicate plant. I also love the pic, the contrast with the colorful background (which could be a wee bit more blurred IMO).

I can't remember having seen this one in Austria - and we have dozens of orchid species (but most of them rare).

Cheers

13. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Harry,
    I agree with you re the background. However, I had a serious problem with blowing out even more of the white flower as shown in this pic in which I attempted to blur the background a bit more. The cells of the tiny white flowers are quite delicate and rather glandular (succulent) thus reflecting even the smallest amount of light. So which of the two is the lesser of two evils?

[​IMG]