Will Nikon ever produce an MFT camera?

Not that I'm in any way unhappy with my Olympus E-M5, but I'm a post-processing Neanderthal still using Nikon's Capture NX2.

When I got into MFT last Spring, I picked up Lightroom 4 so that I could process raw Oly images.
But I haven't been able to muster the energy to delve into Lightroom, so I just PP the jpgs in NX2.
Thankfully, Oly jpgs are pretty darn sweet. :smile:

Do you think Nikon will ever introduce an MFT body?
Or are their mirrorless offerings do well for them?
I am admittedly clueless on mirrorless technology and the mirrorless industry.

Do I have any reason to hope? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, it's beginning to look like I'll have to return Lightroom to my Things To Do List. :frown:

I use the Olympus viewer (free) for the RAWs (they do it fine, in my opinion better than my Photoshop CS6) og here only change WB if needed, then I save as Tiff and do the rest in NX2 = Then you have a very fine file, you can work with in NX2, perhaps later save as jpg, and NX2 is in my opinion a very fine program for colors, Ctrl points and more.

Thanks for the helpful response, Steinar.
I've used relatively basic raw converters such as Canon's DPP and Fuji's Hyper-Utility when I had DSLRs from those companies.
I really don't know why I didn't think to try Oly's basic raw converter.

You are very welcome - here is the link to get it:

........ups, it looks there is a new Olympus viewer 3 now (have used the OL2), but then I will download this new (they ask for your serial-number)

http://support.olympus-imaging.com/ov3download/

----update---

There seems some problems with downloading this program, at least I got it (and others), and I will write to Olympus about it, but perhaps you can just use the Olympus viewer 2 - this is Denmark, but I think you can change the country:

http://www.olympus.dk/site/da/c/cameras_accessories/digital_cameras_accessories/digital_other_accessories/olympus_viewer_4/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I use them in NX2 and also have the plug ins for CS6.

If you like Control Points get the Nik plug-ins for LR. NX uses the very same technology/interface.

That's a good option. I would also suggest investing the time to learn Lightroom since the workflow is so much better than NX2, and the raw conversion tools and camera profiles have caught up or even surpassed NX2 over the years.

One difference to point out - you can use the Control Points in NX2 directly on the NEF whereas the Nik Plugins for LR operate on TIFF files only.

Cheers

Mike

That's a good option. I would also suggest investing the time to learn Lightroom since the workflow is so much better than NX2, and the raw conversion tools and camera profiles have caught up or even surpassed NX2 over the years.

One difference to point out - you can use the Control Points in NX2 directly on the NEF whereas the Nik Plugins for LR operate on TIFF files only.

Cheers

Mike

I do not agree, I still se NX2 as the best NEF-converter, and I think the workflow is very easy, but of course we all interact different to diffent software.

Something needs update in NX2 for sure, but there is a lot of good stuff.

I do not agree, I still se NX2 as the best NEF-converter, and I think the workflow is very easy, but of course we all interact different to diffent software.

I don't want to get into an argument here, but I find that the sharpening & NR tools in the latest ACR/LR leave NX2 in the dust...

Also, the batch processing in NX2 is prehistoric. In LR, I copy a given setting to a batch of images with a few clicks. In NX2, I have to run a batch process for each adjustment and wait till the files are modified. That alone drives me nuts!

The 2 main advantages that NX2 still has over LR:

- Nik Control Points for original NEFs (but on the other hand, you can puchase the complete Nik Collection for LR which gives you Silver Efex, HDR Efex, and the other plugins which are not available for NX2).

- Applying in-camera settings (not important for me - I just have my own profiles & presets for LR and don't want to fiddle much with picture controls, ADL, and NR settings in the field anyway).

So yeah, NX2 is getting a bit long in the tooth... For instance, Thom Hogan used to recommend it as the best raw converter, but he has withdrawn his recommendation a while ago and now recommends LR.

Cheers

Mike

I don't want to get into an argument here, but I find that the sharpening & NR tools in the latest ACR/LR leave NX2 in the dust...

Also, the batch processing in NX2 is prehistoric. In LR, I copy a given setting to a batch of images with a few clicks. In NX2, I have to run a batch process for each adjustment and wait till the files are modified. That alone drives me nuts!

The 2 main advantages that NX2 still has over LR:

- Nik Control Points for original NEFs (but on the other hand, you can puchase the complete Nik Collection for LR which gives you Silver Efex, HDR Efex, and the other plugins which are not available for NX2).

- Applying in-camera settings (not important for me - I just have my own profiles & presets for LR and don't want to fiddle much with picture controls, ADL, and NR settings in the field anyway).

So yeah, NX2 is getting a bit long in the tooth... For instance, Thom Hogan used to recommend it as the best raw converter, but he has withdrawn his recommendation a while ago and now recommends LR.

Cheers

Mike

Mike wrote: "I don't want to get into an argument here,"

What are you then doing :smile:

I remember I wrote:

So I stop here

Pointing out some facts - without getting into an argument :smile:

Cheers

Mike

You need this ? :smile:

OK, I will then start with pointing out some other facts - what I call facts.

No I stop

You need this ? :smile:

OK, I will then start with pointing out some other facts - what I call facts.

No I stop

I don't think there's anything wrong with pointing out facts, so please go ahead... Perhaps there's something I missed?

I said good things and bad things about both in my post, and explained why I switched from NX2 to LR.

I don't think you can argue with the things I pointed out - that's why I said I'm not getting into an argument.

Mike

My vote goes to returning Lightroom 4 and playing with the LR5 beta. No financial commitment and you can take or leave it when the official version hits.

John,

LR4 was a freebie that came with my P&S.
I'll look into LR5 beta before I get involved with LR4.
Knowing me, there's a fair chance I'll just continue to plod along in jpg-land. :redface:
It seems I'm getting lazier as I age.

John,

LR4 was a freebie that came with my P&S.
I'll look into LR5 beta before I get involved with LR4.
Knowing me, there's a fair chance I'll just continue to plod along in jpg-land. :redface:
It seems I'm getting lazier as I age.

I thought you were going to return it for a refund. I'm so dumb. :redface:

Your jpegs look great. No need to change a thing.
If time frees up and you give LR a swing, I'm sure you will have no problem at all.

I don't think there's anything wrong with pointing out facts, so please go ahead... Perhaps there's something I missed?

I said good things and bad things about both in my post, and explained why I switched from NX2 to LR.

I don't think you can argue with the things I pointed out - that's why I said I'm not getting into an argument.

Mike

"I don't think you can argue with the things I pointed out - that's why I said I'm not getting into an argument."

I think we can call that an argument

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom