1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Will nikon fix my 18-200's lens creep?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by stayathomedad, Jul 15, 2008.

1. stayathomedad

stayathomedad

Mar 11, 2008
    Alaska
    if I send it back, will they fix it under its warranty?

2. photolizard

photolizard

Mar 22, 2008
    Missouri
    I am told they will not as they don't see that as a defect. I used advice from forum members and just put one of those rubber/silicone bracelets around the lens right at the junction of the zoom ring and body. Works great and makes finding the zoom ring easy without looking at the lens.

3. madone

madone

Jan 9, 2006
    Connecticut
    I sent mine back for a backfocus issue and mentioned that if they could fix the creep that would be great.

Long story short they fixed both the backfocus and creep. The lens is the sharpest it has ever been and the zoom is now a little stiff but no more creep.

If you can live without it for a couple weeks I'd say it's worth a try...BUT there are no guarantees.

4. Photolizard, can you be more specific with instructions for what you did? My 18-200 has bad lens creep when it's pointed down, but it's not often I point it down, so it's not too much to live with. However, your idea sounds good....what kind of bracelet is it, and where do I get one?

Thanks!

5. Birger, a now sadly deceased member of the Cafe posted a solution using gaffer's tape some time ago. You might search for it.

Update: He doesn't appear on the user list any longer. Sorry, I'll see what I can find.

Update-2: Here try this.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  6. stayathomedad

stayathomedad

Mar 11, 2008
    Alaska
    the creep is an issue for me... whenever I shoot parties and hold the flash off camera, the lens goes all over the place... a real pain!

7. photolizard

photolizard

Mar 22, 2008
    Missouri
    18-200VR fix

Here is my quick fix. Some people custom order bracelets with a studio name or even Nikon on them. I just used what I had laying around. As mentioned earlier, some have used a pice of gaffer tape, or even electrical tape on one or both lens barrels in an inconspicuous place.
    2671396719_f798715d95.

View attachment 221517

View attachment 221518

Hope this helps!

PS I like to leave my focal length indicators showing. That's why it looks crooked!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2008
  8. stayathomedad

stayathomedad

Mar 11, 2008
    Alaska
    The problem is I'm changing the focal length shot to shot.... second to second...

9. Well, I pretty much never use my 18-200VR on a tripod, so I am nearly always holding the zoom ring when I'm actually shooting with the lens. In that case, it never creeps. The solution presented above (which is easily implemented with just a rubber band, incidently) simply puts friction on both the zoom ring and the static part of the lens. It's ugly and seems like it ought to be unnecessary for a $700 lens, but it is quite effective at stopping zoom creep while walking around. I presume that it would work on a tripod too, or if you're holding the camera some other way. For flash, I use bounce flash with the flash right in the shoe and hold the lens normally, but of course everyone's style is different.

Nikon certainly does NOT fix or even attempt to fix zoom creep if you send it in. (Mine's been in twice.) Creep is "normal" on this lens, and I've never seen a sample that didn't creep at least a moderate amount. The real answer is for Nikon to add a zoom lock, like Sigma often has, but that won't help any of the 300,000+ current owners.

10. stayathomedad

stayathomedad

Mar 11, 2008
    Alaska
    Question - I thought Nikon fixed the lens creep on the newer versions of the lens... Is this true?

Does the newer 18-200 lenses creep like the older versions?

11. pgreen7436

pgreen7436 Guest

Not on my newer one. Just bought one less than a month ago and love it by the way, but it creeps bad!!

12. mdruiz

mdruiz

Feb 18, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Zoom Creep and Lens Creep same thing?...This is a copy and paste from NikonUsa Tech support website

What is Zoom Creep?

Question
    What is Zoom Creep?

Answer
    Zoom Creep
    Zoom Creep is the effect gravity can have on your zoom lens under certain circumstances. The 18-200 lens tends to slowly zoom in or out under its own weight if pointed straight up, straight down, or at a sharp angle and nothing is touching the zoom ring. Most of the creep occurs between 30mm and 130mm in the zoom range. This is normal and the zoom action can’t be tightened to eliminate creep.

13. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    Sounds like the same thing to me.

14. I've had 2 copies of this lens. The first creeped badly and the second (acquired in February of this year) didn't creep at all. On the creepy one, I used an O ring I found at a surplus store for about 50 cents. I put it in the joint between the zoom ring and lens body and it worked like a charm. It also wasn't very noticeable.

By the way, I sent the first one in to Nikon for warranty (non-creep) issues 3 times, and they never fixed the creep. Sounds like the creep issue may just depend on "luck of the draw".

15. ecalcagnino

ecalcagnino

Dec 18, 2007
    Chicago Area
    Great idea with the bracelet thingys!! I have a piece of that tacky gum stuff that you use to hang posters with and stick it in place if need be. No residue and it holds great but I really like this idea much better. I have had an issue with two of mine and a friend's as well.

Eric

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.