Will the D200 sting?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by jklofft, Aug 29, 2005.

1. If the D200 is announced and is everything the D2x is but with a smaller buffer, lower FPS and no weather seals (at the $2000-$3000 price point), will you be upset?

For me, it won’t be like when Nikon dropped the price of the D2H, but it will hurt a bit. I still love my D2x.

2. I want more MP than my D2H will give me when taking family group shots and was thinking of buying a D2X. Now if the D200 will do that for me I will just hold on to my D2h and buy the D200 instead. Best of both worlds since I really like almost everything about the D2H. I do want good detail in a family group image blown up to 16x20 or larger.

3. Based on Canon's new offerring I would bet you are right on the money with your description of what it will be. Would not bother me none, love my D2X.

4. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    If it really does end up having everything except 5/8fps, weather sealed body, and integrated vertical grip, it will sting a bit. Not that I won't still be happy with the D2x, but I'll definitely feel like I was over-charged, given the likely price difference. Especially since I just purchased the D2x two weeks ago.

Of course, now Thom Hogan is speculating that maybe the D200 won't be announced on Sept 1 after all, and may not be available till next spring. If that's turns out to be true then I'll have many thousands of captures from my D2x by then.

5. I wouldn't mind really, though I personally hope the D200 is a very different camera.

Reason being I have a D2X, and could use a smaller camera with different talents. Like, for instance, practical high ISO walk around stuff. They appear to have managed this with the D50. If the D200 isn't all that, I'll be carrying around a D50 instead.

It would be a specialty camera for me.

That said, I would prefer Nikon give those waiting on the D200 whatever it is they want. Happy photographers are a good thing.

6. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

I have the F6 and the MB -40 multi-power high speed battery pack with vertical button. This MB-40 uses the same battery as the D2H and D2X.

So I hope the D200 follows the same configuration but includes an onboard flash.

This would be an update to a new model from the D50 and D70.

My dealer says that the F6 is selling very well, and it is hard to keep them in stock.

Well we will see in a couple of days. :Music: to my ears

Birger :smile:

7. mcampos

mcampos

Apr 14, 2005
    Norwalk, CA
    I won't be upset, for me it is more of an issue of feel, when I got the D2H I gained back the feel of the F5 that I liked so much, the D100 was nice, but it could never compete with the fit of the F5.

On the other hand when Nikon dropped the D2H $1k soon after I bought it I was steaming!

8. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

I understand your feeling.
    I had gotten one of the first D2H so I just bought an other one.

I"m still planning on getting a D200.

Birger

9. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi Birger -

When I visited you with Harris and Frank back in May, you made an off-hand remark that the F6 might become the basis for the D3. Given the rock-solid construction and the beautiful design of the F6, doesn't this seem more likely than the D200? Any further thoughts about what the F6 might morph into?

Gordon

10. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest