Will the D800E be ideal for B&W?

One of the features of the D800(E) is monochrome picture control. Does this mean that all pixels will record in B&W and will this be better than using Silver Efex Pro or similar programs? Using the HDR option or bracketing shots should provide phenomenal black and white compositions.

Does the D700 have a monochrome setting? I never have checked since I normally just convert to B&W in post processing. Can you get better B&W photos using a monochrome setting in the camera as opposed to converting in post processing?

One of the features of the D800(E) is monochrome picture control. Does this mean that all pixels will record in B&W and will this be better than using Silver Efex Pro or similar programs? Using the HDR option or bracketing shots should provide phenomenal black and white compositions.

Does the D700 have a monochrome setting? I never have checked since I normally just convert to B&W in post processing. Can you get better
B&W photos using a monochrome setting in the camera as opposed to converting in post processing?

To be honest, I like using the monochrome setting in-camera versus in PP. The D800E should be really nice for those type of photos.

1 comparative of good and well .
• of a more excellent or effective type or quality : hoping for better weather | the new facilities were far better | I'm better at algebra than Alice.
• more appropriate, advantageous, or well advised : there couldn't be a better time to start this job | it might be better to borrow the money.
2 [ predic. ] partly or fully recovered from illness or injury : she's much better today | his leg was getting better.
• fitter and healthier; less unwell : we'll feel a lot better after a decent night's sleep.
adverb
comparative of well 1 .
• more excellently or effectively : Johnny could do better if he tried | instruments are generally better made these days.
• to a greater degree; more : I liked it better when we lived in the country | you may find alternatives that suit you better.
• more suitably, appropriately, or usefully : the money could be better spent on more urgent cases.
noun
1 the better one; that which is better : the Natural History Museum book is by far the better of the two | a change for the better.
2 ( one's betters) chiefly dated or humorous one's superiors in social class or ability : amusing themselves by imitating their betters.
verb [ trans. ]
improve on or surpass (an existing or previous level or achievement) : bettering his previous time by ten minutes.
• make (something) better; improve : his ideas for bettering the working conditions.
• ( better oneself) achieve a better social position or status : the residents are mostly welfare mothers who have bettered themselves.
• overcome or defeat (someone) : she bettered him at archery.
PHRASES
be better off be in a better position, esp. in financial terms : the promotion would make her about $750 a year better off | [as plural n. ] ( the better off) a paper read mainly by the better off.
the —— the better used to emphasize the importance or desirability of the quality or thing specified : the sooner we're off, the better | the more people there the better.
the better part of almost all of; most of : it is the better part of a mile.
better safe than sorry proverb it's wiser to be cautious than to be hasty or rash and so do something you may later regret.
better than more than : he'd lived there for better than twenty years.
the better to —— so as to —— better : he leaned closer the better to hear her.
for better or ( for) worse whether the outcome is good or bad : ours, for better or for worse, is the century of youth.
get the better of (often of something immaterial) win an advantage over (someone); defeat or outwit : curiosity got the better of her.
go one better narrowly surpass a previous effort or achievement : I want to go one better this time and score. • narrowly outdo (another person) : he went one better than Jack by reaching the finals.
had better do something would find it wiser to do something; ought to do something : you had better be careful.
have the better of be more successful in a contest : she usually had the better of these debates.
no (or little) better than just (or almost) the same as; merely : government officials who were often no better than bandits.
ORIGIN Old English betera (adjective), of Germanic origin; related to Dutch beter and German besser, also to best .
USAGE 1 In the verb phrase : had better do something, the word had acts like an auxiliary verb; in informal spoken contexts, it is often dropped, as in : you better not come tonight. In writing, the had may be contracted to ’d ( : you’d better call), but it should not be dropped altogether (not : you better call). 2 On the punctuation of better in compound adjectives, see usage at well 1 .
better 2
noun
variant spelling of bettor .
bettor |ˈbetər| (also better)
noun
a person who bets, typically regularly or habitually.
good |goŏd|
adjective ( better |ˈbetər|, best |best|)
1 to be desired or approved of : we live at peace with each other, which is good | a good quality of life.
• pleasing and welcome : she was pleased to hear good news about him.
• expressing approval : the play had good reviews.
2 having the qualities required for a particular role : the schools here are good.
• functioning or performed well : good health | either she was feeling chastened or she was doing a good act.
• appropriate to a particular purpose : this is a good month for planting seeds.
• (of language) with correct grammar and pronunciation : she speaks good English.
• strictly adhering to or fulfilling all the principles of a particular cause, religion, or party : a good Catholic girl.
• (of a ticket) valid : the ticket is good for travel from May to September.
3 possessing or displaying moral virtue : I've met many good people who made me feel ashamed of my own shortcomings | [as plural n. ] ( the good) the rich and the good shared the same fate as the poor and the bad.
• showing kindness : you are good—thank you.
• obedient to rules or conventions : accustom the child to being rewarded for good behavior.
• used to address or refer to people, esp. in a patronizing or humorous way : the good people of the city were disconcerted.
• commanding respect : he was concerned with establishing and maintaining his good name.
• belonging or relating to a high social class : he comes from a good family.
4 giving pleasure; enjoyable or satisfying : the streets fill up with people looking for a good time.
• pleasant to look at; attractive : you're looking pretty good.
• (of food and drink) having a pleasant taste : the scampi was very good.
• (of clothes) smart and suitable for formal wear : he went upstairs to change out of his good suit.
5 [ attrib. ] thorough : the attic needed a good cleaning | have a good look around.
• used to emphasize that a number is at least as great as one claims : they're a good twenty years younger.
• used to emphasize a following adjective : we had a good long hug.
• fairly large : a good crowd | figurative there's a good chance that we may be able to help you.
6 used in conjunction with the name of God or a related expression as an exclamation of extreme surprise or anger : good heavens!
noun
1 that which is morally right; righteousness : a mysterious balance of good and evil.
2 benefit or advantage to someone or something : he is too clever for his own good.
3 ( goods) merchandise or possessions : imports of luxury goods.
• Brit. things to be transported, as distinct from passengers : a means of transporting passengers as well as goods | [as adj. ] a goods train.
• ( the goods) informal the genuine article.
adverb informal
well : my mother could never cook this good.
PHRASES
all to the good to be welcomed without qualification
as good as —— very nearly —— : she's as good as here. • used of a result which will inevitably follow : if we pass on the information, he's as good as dead.
be any (or no or much) good have some (or none or much) merit : tell me whether that picture is any good. • be of some (or none or much) help in dealing with a situation : it was no good trying to ward things off.
be so good as (or be good enough) to do something used to make a polite request : would you be so good as to answer.
be —— to the good have a specified net profit or advantage : I came out $7 to the good.
come up with (or deliver) the goods informal do what is expected or required of one.
do good 1 act virtuously, esp. by helping others. 2 make a helpful contribution to a situation : could the discussion do any good?
do someone good be beneficial to someone, esp. to their health : the walk will do you good.
for good ( and all) forever; definitively : the experience almost frightened me away for good.
get (or have) the goods on informal obtain (or possess) information about (someone) that may be used to their detriment.
good and —— informal used as an intensifier before an adjective or adverb : it'll be good and dark by then.
( as) good as gold (esp. of a child) extremely well behaved.
( as) good as new in a very good condition or state, close to the original state again after damage, injury, or illness : the skirt looked as good as new.
the Good Book the Bible.
good for 1 having a beneficial effect on : smoking is not good for the lungs. 2 reliably providing : they found him good for a laugh. • sufficient to pay for : his money was good for a bottle of whiskey.
good for (or him, her, etc.) ! used as an exclamation of approval toward a person, esp. for something that they have achieved : “I'm taking my driving test next month.” “Good for you!”
the Good Shepherd a name for Jesus. [ORIGIN: with biblical allusion to John 10: 1-16.]
good wine needs no bush see wine .
a good word words in recommendation or defense of a person : I hoped you might put in a good word for me with your friends.
have a good mind to do something see mind .
in someone's good books see book .
in good time 1 with no risk of being late : I arrived in good time. 2 (also all in good time) in due course but without haste : you shall have a puppy all in good time.
make good be successful : a college friend who made good in Hollywood.
make something good 1 compensate for loss, damage, or expense : if I scratched the table, I'd make good the damage. • repair or restore after damage : make good the wall where you have buried the cable. 2 fulfill a promise or claim : I challenged him to make good his boast.
one good turn deserves another see turn .
put a good face on something see face .
take something in good part not be offended by something : he took her abruptness in good part.
up to no good doing something wrong.
ORIGIN Old English gōd, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch goed and German gut.
USAGE The adverb corresponding to the adjective good is well:: she is a good swimmer who performs well in meets. Confusion sometimes arises because well is also an adjective meaning 'in good health, healthy,' for which good is widely used informally as a substitute: : I feel well, meaning 'I feel healthy'—versus the informal : I feel good, meaning either 'I feel healthy' or 'I am in a good mood.' See also usage at bad .
well 1 |wel|
adverb ( better , best )
1 in a good or satisfactory way : the whole team played well.
• in a way that is appropriate to the facts or circumstances : you did well to come and tell me | [as submodifier, in combination ] a well-timed exit.
• so as to have a fortunate outcome : his campaign did not go well.
• in a kind way : the animals will remain loyal to humans if treated well.
• with praise or approval : people spoke well of him | the film was quite well reviewed at the time.
• with equanimity : she took it very well, all things considered.
• profitably; advantageously : she would marry well or not at all.
• in a condition of prosperity or comfort : they lived well and were generous with their money.
• archaic luckily; opportunely : hail fellow, well met.
2 in a thorough manner : add the mustard and lemon juice and mix well.
• to a great extent or degree (often used for emphasis) : the visit had been planned well in advance | [as submodifier, in combination ] a well-loved mother.
• intimately; closely : he knew my father very well.
• [as submodifier ] Brit., informal very; extremely : he was well out of order.
• [with submodifier ] used as an intensifier : I should bloody well hope so.
3 [with modal ] very probably; in all likelihood : being short of breath may well be the first sign of asthma.
• without difficulty : she could well afford to pay for the reception herself.
• with good reason : “What are we doing here?” “You may well ask.”
adjective ( better, best) [ predic. ]
1 in good health; free or recovered from illness : I don't feel very well | it would be some time before Sarah was completely well | [ attrib. ] informal he was not a well man.
• in a satisfactory state or position : all is not well in post-Soviet Russia.
2 sensible; advisable : it would be well to know just what this suggestion entails.
exclamation
used to express a range of emotions including surprise, anger, resignation, or relief : Well, really! The manners of some people!
• used when pausing to consider one's next words : well, I suppose I could fit you in at 3:45.
• used to express agreement or acceptance, often in a qualified or slightly reluctant way : well, all right, but be quick.
• used to introduce the resumption of a narrative or a change of subject.
• used to mark the end of a conversation or activity : well, cheers, Tom—I must run.
• used to indicate that one is waiting for an answer or explanation from someone : Well? You promised to tell me all about it.
PHRASES
all's well that ends well see all .
all very well see all .
as well 1 in addition; too : the museum provides hours of fun and a few surprises as well | a shop that sold books as well as newspapers. 2 ( as well or just as well) with equal reason or an equally good result : I may as well have a look. • sensible, appropriate, or desirable : it would be as well to let him go.
as well he (or she, etc.) might (or may) used to convey the speaker's opinion that a reaction is appropriate or unsurprising : she sounded rather chipper, as well she might, given her bright prospects.
be well out of Brit., informal be fortunate to be no longer involved in (a situation).
be well in with informal have a good relationship with (someone in a position of influence or authority) : you're well in with O'Brien, aren't you?
be well up on (or in) know a great deal about (a particular thing).
do well for oneself be successful, typically in material or financial terms.
leave (or let) well enough alone refrain from interfering with or trying to improve something that is satisfactory or adequate as it is.
very well used to express agreement or understanding, sometimes grudging : oh very well then, come in.
( all) well and good used to express acceptance of a first statement before introducing a contradictory or confirming second statement : well, that's all well and good, but why didn't he phone her to say so?
well and truly completely : Leith was well and truly rattled.
well enough to a reasonable degree : he liked Isobel well enough, but wouldn't want to make a close friend of her.
well worth certainly worth : Salzburg is well worth a visit.
ORIGIN Old English wel(l), of Germanic origin; related to Dutch wel and German wohl; probably also to the verb will 1 .
USAGE 1 The adverb well is often used in combination with past participles to form compound adjectives: well-adjusted, well-intentioned, well-known, and so on. As far as hyphenation is concerned, there are three general rules: (1) if the compound adjective is placed before the noun (i.e., in the attributive position), it should be hyphenated ( : a well-intentioned remark ); (2) if the compound adjective is preceded by an adverb ( : much,: very,: surprisingly, etc.), the compound adjective is open ( : a thoroughly well prepared student); (3) if the compound adjective is placed after the noun or verb (i.e., in the predicate position), it may, but need not, be hyphenated ( : her remark was well-intentioned or : her remark was well intentioned ). Likewise, other, similar compounds with : better,: best,: ill,: little,: lesser,: least, etc., are hyphenated before the noun ( : a little-known author), often open after a noun or verb ( : the author was little known ), and open if modified by an adverb ( : a very little known author). 2 On uses of well and good, see usage at good .

Now, what part of better do you not understand?

camera that records pixels in black and white is something else, a d800m?

the camera (well most any digital camera made recently) can be set to automatically output a black and white based on the colour image but often it is preferable to do that in post to have control over the outcome

camera that records pixels in black and white is something else, a d800m?

the camera (well most any digital camera made recently) can be set to automatically output a black and white based on the colour image but often it is preferable to do that in post to have control over the outcome

"camera that records pixels in black and white is something else, a d800m?" answers my question. I thought this might be like an M9m which also does not exist. Would be nice, but probably not a big enough market.

I'd love an M8 conversion. I suspect the 800E might deliver a good BW.... based on the little I've seen in that link, and my probable misunderstanding of it.

Does the D700 have a monochrome setting? I never have checked since I normally just convert to B&W in post processing. Can you get better B&W photos using a monochrome setting in the camera as opposed to converting in post processing?
I thought that most DSLR's had a monochrome control of some sort, is there something special in the D800?

AFAIK when you are shooting with B&W mode you are still recording images in color to the sensor but that image is flagged to be processed as B&W which is reversible if you shoot in RAW. Bracketing shots or using the HDR option for 2 shots either in B&W or colour I would think would make little if any difference to the final image.

One thing I am fairly convinced about is that acquiring the image as colour and converting pp offers the greatest flexibility for fullest control of your B&W conversion whether you use Silver Effex or do it manually

I thought that most DSLR's had a monochrome control of some sort, is there something special in the D800?

AFAIK when you are shooting with B&W mode you are still recording images in color to the sensor but that image is flagged to be processed as B&W which is reversible if you shoot in RAW. Bracketing shots or using the HDR option for 2 shots either in B&W or colour I would think would make little if any difference to the final image.

One thing I am fairly convinced about is that acquiring the image as colour and converting pp offers the greatest flexibility for fullest control of your B&W conversion whether you use Silver Effex or do it manually
Earlier response clarified my question. It would be better to convert a D800 to monochrome by removing the AA, microlenses and CFA. I don't think the market is large enough, but it would be a great B&W tool!

The advantage to doing a B&W conversion in post is that you can have full control over the color channels -- it essentially allows you to apply filters after the fact. If you use the in-camera B&W jpegs, it's akin to shooting B&W film -- if you want to bring down a bright blue sky, for example, you'd need a red filter. With color RAW files, you can achieve the same thing, but it's endlessly variable.

To me, that's a pretty big deal.

I would imagine that a D800E would be a great platform for B&W shooting, whether you use auto settings or do your own conversions.

The advantage to doing a B&W conversion in post is that you can have full control over the color channels -- it essentially allows you to apply filters after the fact. If you use the in-camera B&W jpegs, it's akin to shooting B&W film -- if you want to bring down a bright blue sky, for example, you'd need a red filter. With color RAW files, you can achieve the same thing, but it's endlessly variable.

To me, that's a pretty big deal.

I would imagine that a D800E would be a great platform for B&W shooting, whether you use auto settings or do your own conversions.
That makes sense to me. I figure there are enough pixels to play with on the D800E. Silver Efex Pro should work well if it is compatible.

I believe we overworry over equipment and the last pixel, myself included. I would sell all my cameras and lenses and stick to my Holgas if I could take photos like Susan Burnstine! Nonetheless, I personally find that my ex M8.2 produced some B+W photos that I could not duplicate with my M9 apparently because of a "pseudo-infrared" effect!

Earlier response clarified my question. It would be better to convert a D800 to monochrome by removing the AA, microlenses and CFA. I don't think the market is large enough, but it would be a great B&W tool!
Sorry I seem to have missed the point in that you wanted an actual B&W converted camera as you asked
Can you get better B&W photos using a monochrome setting in the camera as opposed to converting in post processing?

What aspects of B&W photos would look different if taken in a monochrome camera setting vs. converting in later during post processing?
Do I assume correctly that you want to make very large prints in B&W as you mention the pixel count?

Real Name
Chris
Now I get it!

1 comparative of good and well .
• of a more excellent or effective type or quality : hoping for better weather | the new facilities were far better | I'm better at algebra than Alice.
• more appropriate, advantageous, or well advised : there couldn't be a better time to start this job | it might be better to borrow the money.
2 [ predic. ] partly or fully recovered from illness or injury : she's much better today | his leg was getting better.
• fitter and healthier; less unwell : we'll feel a lot better after a decent night's sleep.
adverb
comparative of well 1 .
• more excellently or effectively : Johnny could do better if he tried | instruments are generally better made these days.
• to a greater degree; more : I liked it better when we lived in the country | you may find alternatives that suit you better.
• more suitably, appropriately, or usefully : the money could be better spent on more urgent cases.
noun
1 the better one; that which is better : the Natural History Museum book is by far the better of the two | a change for the better.
2 ( one's betters) chiefly dated or humorous one's superiors in social class or ability : amusing themselves by imitating their betters.
verb [ trans. ]
improve on or surpass (an existing or previous level or achievement) : bettering his previous time by ten minutes.
• make (something) better; improve : his ideas for bettering the working conditions.
• ( better oneself) achieve a better social position or status : the residents are mostly welfare mothers who have bettered themselves.
• overcome or defeat (someone) : she bettered him at archery.
PHRASES
be better off be in a better position, esp. in financial terms : the promotion would make her about $750 a year better off | [as plural n. ] ( the better off) a paper read mainly by the better off.
the —— the better used to emphasize the importance or desirability of the quality or thing specified : the sooner we're off, the better | the more people there the better.
the better part of almost all of; most of : it is the better part of a mile.
better safe than sorry proverb it's wiser to be cautious than to be hasty or rash and so do something you may later regret.
better than more than : he'd lived there for better than twenty years.
the better to —— so as to —— better : he leaned closer the better to hear her.
for better or ( for) worse whether the outcome is good or bad : ours, for better or for worse, is the century of youth.
get the better of (often of something immaterial) win an advantage over (someone); defeat or outwit : curiosity got the better of her.
go one better narrowly surpass a previous effort or achievement : I want to go one better this time and score. • narrowly outdo (another person) : he went one better than Jack by reaching the finals.
had better do something would find it wiser to do something; ought to do something : you had better be careful.
have the better of be more successful in a contest : she usually had the better of these debates.
no (or little) better than just (or almost) the same as; merely : government officials who were often no better than bandits.
ORIGIN Old English betera (adjective), of Germanic origin; related to Dutch beter and German besser, also to best .
USAGE 1 In the verb phrase : had better do something, the word had acts like an auxiliary verb; in informal spoken contexts, it is often dropped, as in : you better not come tonight. In writing, the had may be contracted to ’d ( : you’d better call), but it should not be dropped altogether (not : you better call). 2 On the punctuation of better in compound adjectives, see usage at well 1 .
better 2
noun
variant spelling of bettor .
bettor |ˈbetər| (also better)
noun
a person who bets, typically regularly or habitually.
good |goŏd|
adjective ( better |ˈbetər|, best |best|)
1 to be desired or approved of : we live at peace with each other, which is good | a good quality of life.
• pleasing and welcome : she was pleased to hear good news about him.
• expressing approval : the play had good reviews.
2 having the qualities required for a particular role : the schools here are good.
• functioning or performed well : good health | either she was feeling chastened or she was doing a good act.
• appropriate to a particular purpose : this is a good month for planting seeds.
• (of language) with correct grammar and pronunciation : she speaks good English.
• strictly adhering to or fulfilling all the principles of a particular cause, religion, or party : a good Catholic girl.
• (of a ticket) valid : the ticket is good for travel from May to September.
3 possessing or displaying moral virtue : I've met many good people who made me feel ashamed of my own shortcomings | [as plural n. ] ( the good) the rich and the good shared the same fate as the poor and the bad.
• showing kindness : you are good—thank you.
• obedient to rules or conventions : accustom the child to being rewarded for good behavior.
• used to address or refer to people, esp. in a patronizing or humorous way : the good people of the city were disconcerted.
• commanding respect : he was concerned with establishing and maintaining his good name.
• belonging or relating to a high social class : he comes from a good family.
4 giving pleasure; enjoyable or satisfying : the streets fill up with people looking for a good time.
• pleasant to look at; attractive : you're looking pretty good.
• (of food and drink) having a pleasant taste : the scampi was very good.
• (of clothes) smart and suitable for formal wear : he went upstairs to change out of his good suit.
5 [ attrib. ] thorough : the attic needed a good cleaning | have a good look around.
• used to emphasize that a number is at least as great as one claims : they're a good twenty years younger.
• used to emphasize a following adjective : we had a good long hug.
• fairly large : a good crowd | figurative there's a good chance that we may be able to help you.
6 used in conjunction with the name of God or a related expression as an exclamation of extreme surprise or anger : good heavens!
noun
1 that which is morally right; righteousness : a mysterious balance of good and evil.
2 benefit or advantage to someone or something : he is too clever for his own good.
3 ( goods) merchandise or possessions : imports of luxury goods.
• Brit. things to be transported, as distinct from passengers : a means of transporting passengers as well as goods | [as adj. ] a goods train.
• ( the goods) informal the genuine article.
adverb informal
well : my mother could never cook this good.
PHRASES
all to the good to be welcomed without qualification
as good as —— very nearly —— : she's as good as here. • used of a result which will inevitably follow : if we pass on the information, he's as good as dead.
be any (or no or much) good have some (or none or much) merit : tell me whether that picture is any good. • be of some (or none or much) help in dealing with a situation : it was no good trying to ward things off.
be so good as (or be good enough) to do something used to make a polite request : would you be so good as to answer.
be —— to the good have a specified net profit or advantage : I came out $7 to the good.
come up with (or deliver) the goods informal do what is expected or required of one.
do good 1 act virtuously, esp. by helping others. 2 make a helpful contribution to a situation : could the discussion do any good?
do someone good be beneficial to someone, esp. to their health : the walk will do you good.
for good ( and all) forever; definitively : the experience almost frightened me away for good.
get (or have) the goods on informal obtain (or possess) information about (someone) that may be used to their detriment.
good and —— informal used as an intensifier before an adjective or adverb : it'll be good and dark by then.
( as) good as gold (esp. of a child) extremely well behaved.
( as) good as new in a very good condition or state, close to the original state again after damage, injury, or illness : the skirt looked as good as new.
the Good Book the Bible.
good for 1 having a beneficial effect on : smoking is not good for the lungs. 2 reliably providing : they found him good for a laugh. • sufficient to pay for : his money was good for a bottle of whiskey.
good for (or him, her, etc.) ! used as an exclamation of approval toward a person, esp. for something that they have achieved : “I'm taking my driving test next month.” “Good for you!”
the Good Shepherd a name for Jesus. [ORIGIN: with biblical allusion to John 10: 1-16.]
good wine needs no bush see wine .
a good word words in recommendation or defense of a person : I hoped you might put in a good word for me with your friends.
have a good mind to do something see mind .
in someone's good books see book .
in good time 1 with no risk of being late : I arrived in good time. 2 (also all in good time) in due course but without haste : you shall have a puppy all in good time.
make good be successful : a college friend who made good in Hollywood.
make something good 1 compensate for loss, damage, or expense : if I scratched the table, I'd make good the damage. • repair or restore after damage : make good the wall where you have buried the cable. 2 fulfill a promise or claim : I challenged him to make good his boast.
one good turn deserves another see turn .
put a good face on something see face .
take something in good part not be offended by something : he took her abruptness in good part.
up to no good doing something wrong.
ORIGIN Old English gōd, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch goed and German gut.
USAGE The adverb corresponding to the adjective good is well:: she is a good swimmer who performs well in meets. Confusion sometimes arises because well is also an adjective meaning 'in good health, healthy,' for which good is widely used informally as a substitute: : I feel well, meaning 'I feel healthy'—versus the informal : I feel good, meaning either 'I feel healthy' or 'I am in a good mood.' See also usage at bad .
well 1 |wel|
adverb ( better , best )
1 in a good or satisfactory way : the whole team played well.
• in a way that is appropriate to the facts or circumstances : you did well to come and tell me | [as submodifier, in combination ] a well-timed exit.
• so as to have a fortunate outcome : his campaign did not go well.
• in a kind way : the animals will remain loyal to humans if treated well.
• with praise or approval : people spoke well of him | the film was quite well reviewed at the time.
• with equanimity : she took it very well, all things considered.
• profitably; advantageously : she would marry well or not at all.
• in a condition of prosperity or comfort : they lived well and were generous with their money.
• archaic luckily; opportunely : hail fellow, well met.
2 in a thorough manner : add the mustard and lemon juice and mix well.
• to a great extent or degree (often used for emphasis) : the visit had been planned well in advance | [as submodifier, in combination ] a well-loved mother.
• intimately; closely : he knew my father very well.
• [as submodifier ] Brit., informal very; extremely : he was well out of order.
• [with submodifier ] used as an intensifier : I should bloody well hope so.
3 [with modal ] very probably; in all likelihood : being short of breath may well be the first sign of asthma.
• without difficulty : she could well afford to pay for the reception herself.
• with good reason : “What are we doing here?” “You may well ask.”
adjective ( better, best) [ predic. ]
1 in good health; free or recovered from illness : I don't feel very well | it would be some time before Sarah was completely well | [ attrib. ] informal he was not a well man.
• in a satisfactory state or position : all is not well in post-Soviet Russia.
2 sensible; advisable : it would be well to know just what this suggestion entails.
exclamation
used to express a range of emotions including surprise, anger, resignation, or relief : Well, really! The manners of some people!
• used when pausing to consider one's next words : well, I suppose I could fit you in at 3:45.
• used to express agreement or acceptance, often in a qualified or slightly reluctant way : well, all right, but be quick.
• used to introduce the resumption of a narrative or a change of subject.
• used to mark the end of a conversation or activity : well, cheers, Tom—I must run.
• used to indicate that one is waiting for an answer or explanation from someone : Well? You promised to tell me all about it.
PHRASES
all's well that ends well see all .
all very well see all .
as well 1 in addition; too : the museum provides hours of fun and a few surprises as well | a shop that sold books as well as newspapers. 2 ( as well or just as well) with equal reason or an equally good result : I may as well have a look. • sensible, appropriate, or desirable : it would be as well to let him go.
as well he (or she, etc.) might (or may) used to convey the speaker's opinion that a reaction is appropriate or unsurprising : she sounded rather chipper, as well she might, given her bright prospects.
be well out of Brit., informal be fortunate to be no longer involved in (a situation).
be well in with informal have a good relationship with (someone in a position of influence or authority) : you're well in with O'Brien, aren't you?
be well up on (or in) know a great deal about (a particular thing).
do well for oneself be successful, typically in material or financial terms.
leave (or let) well enough alone refrain from interfering with or trying to improve something that is satisfactory or adequate as it is.
very well used to express agreement or understanding, sometimes grudging : oh very well then, come in.
( all) well and good used to express acceptance of a first statement before introducing a contradictory or confirming second statement : well, that's all well and good, but why didn't he phone her to say so?
well and truly completely : Leith was well and truly rattled.
well enough to a reasonable degree : he liked Isobel well enough, but wouldn't want to make a close friend of her.
well worth certainly worth : Salzburg is well worth a visit.
ORIGIN Old English wel(l), of Germanic origin; related to Dutch wel and German wohl; probably also to the verb will 1 .
USAGE 1 The adverb well is often used in combination with past participles to form compound adjectives: well-adjusted, well-intentioned, well-known, and so on. As far as hyphenation is concerned, there are three general rules: (1) if the compound adjective is placed before the noun (i.e., in the attributive position), it should be hyphenated ( : a well-intentioned remark ); (2) if the compound adjective is preceded by an adverb ( : much,: very,: surprisingly, etc.), the compound adjective is open ( : a thoroughly well prepared student); (3) if the compound adjective is placed after the noun or verb (i.e., in the predicate position), it may, but need not, be hyphenated ( : her remark was well-intentioned or : her remark was well intentioned ). Likewise, other, similar compounds with : better,: best,: ill,: little,: lesser,: least, etc., are hyphenated before the noun ( : a little-known author), often open after a noun or verb ( : the author was little known ), and open if modified by an adverb ( : a very little known author). 2 On uses of well and good, see usage at good .

Now, what part of better do you not understand?

Sorry I seem to have missed the point in that you wanted an actual B&W converted camera as you asked
Do I assume correctly that you want to make very large prints in B&W as you mention the pixel count?
Tony,
I like B&W photos and have just started to play around with it in post processing. My original intent was to determine whether the D800E would have strengths in that area. I had heard about a potential M9m, but only had a small grasp of what that entailed. Reading the link provided above helped me better understand what it takes to convert a camera.

Because I did not thoroughly understand the issue I thought by having 3 times as many MP (36), it would allow you to capture something similar to a black and white 12 MP sensor. It probably is not the same, but at least I have a better understanding now.

Latest threads

Top Bottom