Will the plane take off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, in the case of the sailboat you need to know the wind direction, true wind speed, and something about the performance of the boat to get the correct answer, which given the scanty information in the original question is "maybe".

:

Wow, what a post.

Way too knowledgeable and rational for us!:eek:

Whatever happened to the good ol' "Ignorance is bliss" days.

Rob

Thanks for a VERY informed answer Bob, :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: To the casual observer I reckon both would come to a shuddering, slithering halt. As with the original 'will it fly' question there are heaps of intangibles left out and not even known about. :smile: I hope you can accept that my neighbour is eminently qualified, he took the question on the chin and at face value, please remember who asked the question. :confused:

When this is over I have a really good question, for all you stiff wing junkies, from the world of rotary aerodynamics, so get on-line or better still get into a library and read up. You have been warned.:eek: :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

.......snip........

When this is over I have a really good question, for all you stiff wing junkies, from the world of rotary aerodynamics, so get on-line or better still get into a library and read up. You have been warned.:eek: :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I know everything anyone ever needs to know about helicopters.

WHEN THE KING BOLT FAILS, YOU GONNA' DIE:eek::eek::eek:

Real Name
Dave
I know everything anyone ever needs to know about helicopters.

WHEN THE KING BOLT FAILS, YOU GONNA' DIE:eek::eek::eek:

Question: What do you call a helicopter when the kingbolt fails?

Answer: A rock

The real reason a helicopter flys is not from the lift generated by the blades moving through the air.........rather it just beats the air into submission and it is allowed to rise.

Rob

BUT!!!!!!!!!!! Have you lot seen the Pilot?

captainchaos.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Ok Guys: Haze, Hyper
No Barbie Skates here!

Bont ZX2 boots / custom fitted
Verducci Frames / polished to eliminate stress cracks
Hyper 80mm 84a race wheels / measured with a caliper and sized with the smallest first.
Swiss Bones bearings / carefully cleaned and lubed with my secret speed lube.

normal_Bont-Skates.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Of course I can spin up the treadmill, jump on it and skate away. I can easily pull myself forward on the spinning treadmill. Just like the kid holds the plane and lets go when the treadmill is spinning.

This is NOT what the original question says. So I stepped onto the treadmill with it stopped. I reached and turned on the switch and guess what! It pulled me back so fast I almost fell on my....but I caught myself just in time. So if I pull myself forward on the treadmill at the same speed that the treadmill is spinning then...Well you guessed it!

This is NOT what the original question says. So I stepped onto the treadmill with it stopped. I reached and turned on the switch and guess what! It pulled me back so fast I almost fell on my....but I caught myself just in time. So if I pull myself forward on the treadmill at the same speed that the treadmill is spinning then...Well you guessed it!

Ya!

Q. Relative to the treadmill "frame" were you stationary or moving forward?

According to the original question if you are moving at 5mph the belt is going back 5mph for a relative "you to belt" speed of 10mph.

Did you take off or not?

No! I did not take off. I forgot that I had left the front door open and the neighbor came over and saw me in my underwear skating on the treadmill. Anyway I guess that proves it and we do not need to wait for next Wednesday...
Pete

No! I did not take off. I forgot that I had left the front door open and the neighbor came over and saw me in my underwear skating on the treadmill. Anyway I guess that proves it and we do not need to wait for next Wednesday...
Pete

Cool. Blisteringly cool!
Go commit $10(or more) to the café on the other thread (below) if you please.:biggrin:

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=146576

Last edited by a moderator:
Next Wednesday on Mythbusters, they are going to test this very theory. Will a plane on a conveyor belt really take off?

We shall see

:biggrin:

So I was in my local blue light store and the conveyor at the register caught my eye. I hunted up a pair of skates in the store but all I could find were the pink Barbie ones. I stood in line with those skates (quite a wait as usual) and people just looked funny at me. When I got to the register, I put them on the conveyor facing the back and held the laces. When the girl started the conveyor, I pulled back on the laces to keep them in place. Then I told the girl that they weren't my size and left.

Anyway, I was really surprised at the amount of force needed to hold the skates in one place. Yes I could have pulled them off the back but I just used my little finger in the laces as a test. So now I am thinking maybe the nay-sayers are on to something...

Grab the laces and pull them in the opposite direction of the conveyor. Speed the conveyor up to 100 mph, and keep applying pressure to the laces.

Propeller is the same as pulling on the laces. Conveyor is obviously the treadmill. Airplane doesn't care what is happening to the treadmill.

Tonight is the night! I copy and pasted this from Discovery:

Jan 30, 9:00 pm

(60 minutes) MythBusters
Airplane on a Conveyor Belt
TV-PG

In this three-myth blockbuster the team takes a crash-course in remote controlled airplane flying, bug-out by testing the "cockroach survival" theory, then return to fraternity pranks with exploding cans of shaving cream.

"Unfortunately, the Café does not stand to reap big benefits from this simple question. That's because all the nay-sayers....are refusing to put their money where they mouth is."

Philippe raises a good point. My offer is to donate $100 to the café if the plane can't fly. But I've had so much fun with this thread that I will pay half that amount, $50, if I'm correct and the plane does fly! This has been a hoot!

All kidding aside, I am with you Haze... $100 if it does not fly and $50 if it does!
Anyone else want to join in???

No! I do not skate naked on my treadmill!

Pete
The Plane Will Fly!!!

J

jstuedle

No, absolutely not. It is a misconception that the prop does anything to make an aircraft fly other than provide the thrust needed to gain forward motion. As noted the wheels have nothing to do with lift. So, also as noted it is the shape that creates lift but only when that wing is in forward motion. The distance the air travels over the wing is greater than beneath, creating the pressure differential that creates lift.

I don't think anyone one said having a huge fan blowing wind at the stationary airplane (on the conveyor belt) was against the rules.

Knowing the Mythbusters, I'm sure they will cheat and do everything they can to make the plane take off while on a conveyor belt.

But without adding air...the plane won't take off.

should be a good show at the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom