Will this be OK on my D300?

I've just bought the Nikkor 55mm f2.8 AIS Micro.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Got it on E-Bay for what I thought was a good price. I'm now a little worried about fitting it to my D300, will it be OK?

I've done a bit of research but due to my lake of knowledge and some conflicting info on the web I'm still not so sure.

Am I right in thinking pre Ai is no good and needs a mod to work with modern DSLR's? Does that mean AIS will be ok?

Do I have to go into the D300 menu to set up the camera for this lens?

Just need someone to put my mind at rest:redface:

Thanks.

Hi Chris,
if this is the actual item it will work on your D300. This camera can handle both AI and AIS lenses. Pre-AI should not be used. If you like, you can dial-in the focal length and max aperture so you get correct EXIF data and matrix metering, but this not mandatory.
Have fun!
Markus

Put it on and try!!:eek:

The lens is fine for the D300, any AI lens is, you can just programme the focal length and maximum aperture into the menu (can't recall off the top of my head which) and as you turn the aperture ring on the lens the LCD readout will change accordingly, pretty smart!!:biggrin:

It'll be fine Chris :wink:

Enjoy it. I tried a friend's old push-pull AIS lens and loved. it. You have to put a bit more work into getting the picture, but the results make you feel smug, warm and fuzzy :biggrin:

Thanks for the quick replies lads.

It should arrive tomorrow, I'll just whack it on then.

I'm looking forward to feeling warm and fuzzy:biggrin:

I just bought one for my D300. I had this lens years ago. It can get very tight to twist the focus. If that happens send it to a shop for a re-lube. I use Chicago Camera Repair.

This is one of the great reasons to get a D200/300 is that it meters with these lenses.

I just bought one for my D300. I had this lens years ago. It can get very tight to twist the focus. If that happens send it to a shop for a re-lube. I use Chicago Camera Repair.
Thanks mate, I'll look out for it, though Chicago might be a bit far for me to travel for a service:biggrin:

I used to have one of these lenses, I sold it on eBay a little while back.
Maybe your model used to be mine!!

It was a great lens, very sharp (even when set at F2.8)
However it was too close to my 50/2 AI for me so I sold it on

Enjoy the glass

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom