Will you keep your D2h/D2hs if you have a D2x?

I have been going through post after post where folks list their current equipment and I notice that a lot of you show that you have a D2x and a D2h. I am curious. I am still looking for a D2x so can't speak from experience, but it seems that except for the faster frames per second rate using the full sensor, the D2x can do pretty much everything the D2h does. Or am I missing something. I'm just curious.

Will you keep your D2h/hs if you have a D2x and if so why?

PS. This is not in any way meant to put down the D2h. It is a fantastic camera.

If I had a DH I'd keep it just to shoot two bodies letting the H do pick up shots with a shorter lens. As is, I'll be keeping my D1X for the same reason. I'll keep one lens short on the D1X in most situations. In fact, I may run the 50 1.4 on it for a while. Always good to have a backup for another reason. Besides, as you indicated, the Hs (and 1X) still take great shots.

Hi Larry,

That makes sense. I have a D1x and a D70. I will probably sell the D1x when I get my 2X and keep the D70 for my wife. She likes taking snap shots when she travels. My only thought regarding carrying a second body is that I can only carry so much and I would rather leave a redundant body home than a lens if I had to chose. On the other hand all the lenses I have need a camera body and if mine goes down I'm sunk. Tough choices.

Again, you lucky guy, I am now going through what you went through last week. Can you offer me any hints on finding a D2x based on your experiences.

The D70 for your wife and snapshots makes sense.

At some point I want to start a thread on fine tuning the D2X settings. Many cooks can help with this effort and it will boil down to a "best setting" for all to follow down the road. My D1X settings are off a standard set developed over a period of time by other users. The few hints I've seen so far seems to follow the D1X.

Actually, I was looking for hints on how to buy a D2x. When was the best time to call B&H for example? If I call too early I will miss and if I call too late I will miss. It would be kind of difficult to call every hour like you did. The web site is useless for this item as it sells before they can change it on the website. The competition is fierce out there.

Scott Sherman said:
Actually, I was looking for hints on how to buy a D2x. When was the best time to call B&H for example? If I call too early I will miss and if I call too late I will miss. It would be kind of difficult to call every hour like you did. The web site is useless for this item as it sells before they can change it on the website. The competition is fierce out there.

I only called BH once when they opened every few days. I got in for a phone order when an alert went out from DPR just before closing time on 3/30. The web page did go active later that night. I suspect that it will be easier to get a 2X from BH on their next shipment as the competition seems to be relaxing. Make sure that your wish list is ready for a dump to the shopping cart if ordering more than one item (I had 7) and ordering from on-line. Check each box and you can dump all the items into the shopping cart at one time.

R

Removed User 2

Oh yes you bet I'll be keeping both my D2Hs!!!

The D2H is a secret on its own. 4MP files, tons of easy to process Raw files, the best for weddings and even in studio it's great IMHO.

I just enlarged a 30x45 with great results. You can bang that camera and abuse it... and for the price!

The D2H is a keeper, no matter if I own a D2X or even a D3X with 25MP :p

For 8x10 work one doesn't need more :shock:

Good Idea Larry

Larry Gleason said:
The D70 for your wife and snapshots makes sense.

At some point I want to start a thread on fine tuning the D2X settings. Many cooks can help with this effort and it will boil down to a "best setting" for all to follow down the road. My D1X settings are off a standard set developed over a period of time by other users. The few hints I've seen so far seems to follow the D1X.

Please let me know Larry when you start this thread. I think that will help many people who are confused about settings on the D2X.

Latest threads

Top Bottom