Will you upgrade?

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by davewolfs, Jul 1, 2008.

1. davewolfs

davewolfs

May 23, 2006
    I'm seriously debating whether or not this upgrade is worth it. I currently own the following:

D300 (Less then 2 weeks old, can still return)
    12-24 Nikkor
    24-70 Nikkor
    105mm VR

So to upgrade, its going to cost me $1300 plus the 12-24 will eventually need to be replaced either with a 18mm prime or a 14-24.

So with that said, how many of you currently own a D300 and are pondering whether or not you will jump on the D700 band wagon?

I guess the immediate benefits are:

1. Going super wide (but I kinda already have this, although DX is limited to approximately a 20mm FOV.
    2. Better DoF control, smaller apertures with less worrying about diffraction, or larger apertures with shallower DoF.
    3. Amazingly High ISO

Would like to hear what everyone else is thinking.

2. I think you need to choose your tool for the work you do. Is it "upgrading" to choose a 4 lbs sledge hammer over a claw hammer? Maybe if you're driving spikes, but probably not for driving finishing nails. Was it upgrading to sell your F3HP and buy a RB67? Maybe if you worked in a studio. Maybe not if you were shooting MotoGP.

Depends on what you're doing with it. If you shoot birds in decent light, then the D300 is likely your choice. If you do weddings/events/portraits/landscapes, then the D700 will likely have the edge. If you shoot sports or do PJ work with fast action in failing light where a flash is not handy (or survivable) and frame-rate, build quality and durability are important, maybe a D3 is your answer. None of these bodies are "upgrades" merely based on newness, model number, or sensor size.

3. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    I'm a pretty happy D200 shooter. I won't be "upgrading", because I plan to keep and supplement with the 700. I'm looking forward to landscapes and architecture on a FX sensor, and most of my architecture is shot at night. I'll keep a DX for shooting birds. If I find the D700 that much better laid out than the D200, then I would consider "upgrading" to the D300 later. Meanwhile, the D700 and 14-24 (both on order) will overstretch my already tight budget for a while! One plus is that I never jumped on the DX lens bandwagon. I have one - the Tokina 10-17 fisheye. I'll be keeping that one for sure!

4. Keis

Keis

Jan 13, 2006
    Fort Collin, CO
    I own the D300 and all my lenses except the 12-24 would be fx compatible. I'd love the improved s/n and dynamic range of the D3/D700. But I should outdoors and can't give up the reach. The D700 hiking kit would be much heavier then my current one. Here is my reasoning.

Right now my landscape shooting requires me to carry a 12-24 and 24-70. I also carry an expension tube so I don't have to carry my 105 VR. I leave my 70-200VR out of my backpack also because its not required for landscapes. The 70 is actually 105mm on the D300 and I use the 70mm end of my 24-70 a lot.

If I went to the FX camera I'd loose the 70-105 equivalent reach which I need so I'd probably have to carry the 24-70 and 70-200...too much weight. THe 12-24 could be left home since it wouldn't work totally with the D700 and 24mm is pretty wide is FX anyway. Bottom line is I'd be carrying more weight. Of course if I through in a yet to be purchased 14-24 I'd break my back.

In terms of what it would do to my photography it's probably negative. Better pictures technically but I'd miss photos deeper into the mountains and up trail where my legs would give out with the extra weight.

Off course I could just keep the D300 also. Its just money.

5. I will not. I have no need for 6400 ISO...the D300 is more than enough camera for me. In fact, after my D200 wears out, unless the price allows for a D700, I will buy another D300 or its equivalent.

6. I have been waiting for this camera since I first started using the D1 and the D100.

I'm currently using all D200 bodies, and didn't upgrade the last time around. The D3 is too big and too heavy for my type of photography, and the D300 was not enough of an upgrade.

I've used my D200's since 2005, they've been all over the world, and have witnessed all kinds of weather. Beaten, but not destroyed, I will be giving away my D200 bodies, and replacing all of them with the D700. To me, finally a worthy upgrade.

7. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    d300 to d700 is not an upgrade (IMO)...it's a lateral move

8. Gary Mayo

Gary Mayo Guest

I am staying put.

9. digitalzed

digitalzed

May 14, 2006
    N. Cal
    I can't afford it, even if I wanted to! I liked the 2 year cycle Nikon used to be on. It fit my budget better.

10. I'm not an 'action' shooter but have been doing a lot of interiors lately so I'll most likely do the sideways move from D300 to D700. The only things that might hold me back are the 95% viewfinder and the way the CF card door opens. My D80 opened in a similar fashion and it would always manage to open whenever I grabbed the camera out of the bag. That really drove me crazy.

Roger...

11. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    I can see myself buying the D700, but not immediately. Aperture generally takes a while before Apple provides RAW support, and I don't want to bother with something else in the interim. Even so, I haven't made up my mind yet. There's no rush.

12. nimix

nimix

May 30, 2006
    Germany
    I'll keep my D300.
    In ~ 1 year I'll buy an additional D700 + MB-D10 if the price is about 2000.-€
    Until then I'll invest in lenses and a SB-900 as a 2nd flash.
    User interface alone and 360° is worth it to upgrade from SB800.
    Maybe I also sell my SB800 and get 2 SB900.
    identical operation is worth the money.

nimix

13. sjohnson803

sjohnson803 Guest

I am very excited for a good used D300 on the cheap! If that answers the question.

14. The 12-24 is FX compatible! From 18-24mm there is no vignetting on the FX sensor, according to Thom Hogan.

So you get the same 18mm FOV on both sensor types. Just don't use the 12-17mm range on FX.

Cheers

Mike

15. Maybe in 2 years you can afford the D700? So you're still on the 2 year cycle :wink:

Cheers

Mike

16. Kemnik

Kemnik

Aug 21, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    I'm using a D200, which I LOVE right now, but I'll be saving for the D700 just for the high ISO at weddings. Besides I have no DX lenses anyway so no big deal there. It is a lot of money though so perhaps a used D300 is in my future; which is a worthy high ISO upgrade from the D200. I am more excited to just hear how people enjoy the D700.

17. No, definitely not! I just got the D300 half a year ago and it has to last at least 3 years...

Also, FX is a disadvantage for wildlife shooters, unless they increase the sensor resolution to 24 MP so that the DX crop will still have about 12 MP.

Cheers

Mike

18. jafo

jafo

Jun 11, 2008
    Chatsworth, CA
    I have a D300 and it's all the camera I need right now. And I don't think I'd ever spend over $2K for a camera body. Maybe in 5+ years when Dxxx camera equivalents (whatever the line is called then) are at the same price point as the D300, I will bite. I've spent enough on camera equipment for now anyway. :) 

That being said, I probably will not buy another DX lens. The body isn't really an investment (I know they resell pretty well), but the lenses are. I'm happy that they have the crop mode for DX lenses though.

19. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

go straight to the 700 ....;-)))

20. davewolfs

davewolfs

May 23, 2006
    How does the D700 CF card door open?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.