Will you...

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by atoronto, Aug 16, 2008.

1. atoronto

atoronto

Jun 16, 2008
    Toronto
    replace the Nikkor 24-70 with the following primes:
    24mm 2.8
    35mm 2.0
    50mm 1.4
    85mm 1.4
    Please also explain the reason. Thanks and please your opinion.

2. CurtisBilly

CurtisBilly

Mar 22, 2008
    Cincinnati
    No way. With the D700 High ISO performance, 2.8 is enough. I shot a lot with a 35/1.4L Canon and shot it at 2.8 most of the time so the selective focus was not too extreme (one eye in focus, the other not). The 24-70 2.8 doesn't need to be stopped down for critical sharpness.

That said, I'll probably add a 50/1.4G since it will be the cheapest of the new bunch and sometimes you need 1.4 for the bokeh and sometimes you can never have enough light.

3. atoronto

atoronto

Jun 16, 2008
    Toronto
    Curtis, thanks for your opinion, I recently feel that I like to use smaller lens for day to day shoots, any other opinions? please joint this thread.

4. panda81

panda81

Feb 7, 2008
    Texas
    I think the 85mm FL lens complements the 24-70 zoom. To me, you're really asking if the 24, 35, and 50 can replace the 24-70. I think having the zoom is too helpful (in addition to spectacular IQ) in situations where changing lenses every few minutes will make you miss too many shots, e.g. event photography. So my answer is no.

5. Never. I agree with Jerry in that the 85 1.4 is a good complimentary lens to the 24-70. Plus those primes, despite being excellent are all old technology. The 24-70 is probably two decades worth of improvements. I'd wait until Nikon does a refresh, then ask that question again.

6. PWPhoto

PWPhoto

Jul 21, 2006
    San Diego
    depends on what body you have i guess.

7. atoronto

atoronto

Jun 16, 2008
    Toronto
    Thanks guys for joining and the opinions, I am using the D700, maybe like others said maybe add 50 or 85 1.4 (if I can afford the cream machine).
    Anyone tried the Sigma 50mm 1.4 yet?

8. Primes have their place, as do zooms. If I had a 24-70mm I would not replace it but I would supplement it with some carefully picked primes and if manual focus is something you'll be doing you may want those primes to be some of the older AI or AI-S glass.

My 11 cents.

9. atoronto

atoronto

Jun 16, 2008
    Toronto
    Rob, thanks for contributing your opinions, MF lenses a bit difficult to shoot kids running around I guess, I only have 1 AIS lens at the moment, which primes you recommend in addition to the 24-70?
    1 question for the 24-70 owner, this lens supposed to be weather sealing lens right? how come I get a white dust on the rear element of the lens, if I open the rear caps I can see it clearly? will this be seen in the photos?

10. Hi Alex,

I suppose that if I was trying to chase some young ones around I might not be looking for manual focus lenses, although some people do it brilliantly. Depending on where you'll be shooting and your preferred field of view the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 might be a great choice. Great optics and a very good performer in low light.

11. atoronto

atoronto

Jun 16, 2008
    Toronto
    Rob, in this case I can't use the 30mm 1.4 because I am using the D700.

12. Robert, the OP said he is using a D700. The Sigma is a DX lens isn't it?

I have the 24-70, as well as the 85/1.4, 50/1.4, 35/2, and an older 20/2.8. I rarely use any of those other than the 24-70.

13. My bad Mike. Didn't see that. :eek:

14. atoronto

atoronto

Jun 16, 2008
    Toronto
    Mike did you get any dust in your 24-70 yet?

15. tfenne

tfenne

Apr 10, 2008
    Cambridge, MA
    I've organically ended up with a similar set of primes - by which I mean I didn't plan from the start for this to be my kit - and will soon be selling the only standard zoom in my kit (my 18-200). The 24-70 is too big a chunk of cash for me to consider it, especially since I tend to shoot that kind of range in low light where my primes (acquired over time) give me the extra stop or two.

16. "In"? Is this another internet horror story? :eek:

The 24-70 works great.

17. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

don't sweat the "dust". they all have it or will. i've never known it to have an effect on IQ.

18. atoronto

atoronto

Jun 16, 2008
    Toronto
    Yup, "in" exactly under the rear element of the lens, but I think I am not gonna bother as Nute said it will not affect the IQ, oh well just forget it.
    Anyone knows what software to create a virtual tours (360 degrees panorama) for the real estate?

19. CraigH

CraigH

Mar 21, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    I really prefer primes. I think that it's pretty hard to beat their IQ. I think that most of the time, it's just a couple of steps forward or backward to frame your subject. That might actually be faster than messing with the zoom ring. I still use the Sigma 10-20 in my mix, but my main primes are:

10.5 f2.8 Nikkor
    35 f2 Nikkor
    60 f2.8 Nikkor
    85 f1.4 Nikkor
    150 f2.8 Sigma APO

These serve me well and are often as fast or faster than the zooms. I know I'd have to change lenses more often, but that balances with the knowledge that I'm using just the right tool at the time, or at least I think so.

Also, I know and plan ahead for an event, like when my daughter's kids (my grandkids) are coming over, or I'm going to meet them at the beach. I know what lens will best suit that style. I might choose head shots, then out with the 85 f1.4. I might not, then out with the 35 f2. Whatever, it's my style at the time.

20. I have the 24-70 and versions of the primes listed (ie 24 f2.0 vs. 2.8). I love the primes, but they don't replace the 24-70! They are different animals with different purposes.