Willis Tower Lightning strike.

Any idea how he captured this photo? From what I see he is higher then the buildings so I am assuming he is in a plane or helicopter. What luck to be in the right spot at the right time.

I also have to wonder if he went in the air knowing the storm would produce images like this or just got lucky.

I would like to know the behind the scenes on this one.

If you click the link the page takes a moment to load but there are 5 photos to scroll through which confirms my thought on it being aerial photography.

http://darkroom.baltimoresun.com/2013/06/lightning-strikes-sears-tower-storm/#5

Simple. Go to the top floor of the Hancock tower. Seek spot near windows. Point camera at buildings. Take pictures :smile:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I did not use a helicopter for this shot.

Simple. Go to the top floor of the Hancock tower. Seek spot near windows. Point camera at buildings. Take pictures :smile:
I was going to say - the third is an aerial shot, but the last one? There is no way anyone would have been flying a helicopter over the city in that weather.

If you have the luxury of being able to be stationary near the Sears Tower you can watch it get hit quite a few times during a good storm. About ten years back I lived on the 20th floor of Presidential Towers, which is a few blocks away, and when the storms would roll in I'd pull up my blinds and sit and watch it get nailed over and over again (as well as other strikes in the area). Pretty cool because you'd get big showers of sparks and smoke usually, plus the flicker of ionized air from where the bolt came down. Never bothered to take pics; it was more fun just watching the show.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom