Wimberley Gimbal Head - Lock it Down?

Discussion in 'Tripods, Ball Heads, and Gimbals' started by racefan, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Just got a Wimberley Head vII. I think it's going to be really nice, but having never used a gimbal head I have a question for experienced users:

If you have your camera well balanced in the head (seems really easy to do) do you lock the head down in static shot situations or just let it sit untightened (maybe using selftimer or a cable release?)?
  2. billbunton

Jan 7, 2006
    Austin, TX
    In situations where I'm going to be using a reasonably long exposure I lock it down. Anything that's not very long I don't usually bother, just make sure to use good long-lens technique.
  3. Thanks Bill. By "good long-lens technique", do you include placing your hand on the top of the lens barrel and pressing your head against the eyecup when not locked down?
  4. pretty much only time I will lock it down is when I have a very slow shutter speed and then I lock it down hard and I place my hand over the front of the lens gently to dampen vibrations. Use mirror up and remote release....I have sharp shots at 1/5th of a second this way....

Under 1/100 of a second you have to take special care to get sharp shots....

The key is of course to balance the lens perfectly.

Here is one at 1/60th and 680mm (400mm + TC17)
  5. Lovely shot and just the kind of info I was looking for Andréas. Do you remember if you had it locked down for that shot? Thanks to you and Bill for giving me a place to start.

My shop called today and my 300VR is in but I won't be able to pick it up until Friday, so you can guess what I'm doing this weekend. :485:
  6. Yes I remember this one well, after looking for owls near and a far, My neighbour across the road called me and said that: he is here again!!!

It was locked down, and I had my hand lightly on the top of the lens and used mirror up and remote release. BTW if you dpont have a remote release you can get them cheaply on Ebay - 15 bucks or so, works fine.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2007
  7. Yep - I have an MC-30 and use it often - I'll try to use it anytime I'm at slower speeds on the Wimberley - thanks.
  8. billbunton

Jan 7, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Yes, those are the major things, along with good breathing technique :). With shutter speeds of about 1/15 or longer I'll also use mirror lockup, whether I'm locking the head and using a remote release or not.