Win 7 will not save UI & Passwords for programs

Fellow Café-ers I could use some help.

I'm an old line XP user ... a system I pretty thoroughly understand. When I put together a new workstation a year and a half ago, it was a Win 7 that really pumps for photo processing.

BUT...every website I belong too will not save username and password on Win 7, despite asking me if I want to .... "YES"! I'm obviously missing something, no manual, have the "Missing Manual" but find it of no quick help. Is this an intrinsic characteristic of Win 7 and later, or is it a setting that is buried somewhere that I am missing?

Thanks for any help you may care to give.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
This is not about Windows 7, it is about the web browser you are using. The passwords are for website logins, not for running programs.

Which web browser are you using and which version is it?

I agree with Richard. Likely one of the very first times a dialog "Do you want to save username/passwords in the future" popped up you clicked "no". (I know Chrome and Firefox show that kind of a dialog; Internet Explorer probably too).

You should be able to reset that though in the options menu of your browser.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is not about Windows 7, it is about the web browser you are using. The passwords are for website logins, not for running programs.

Which web browser are you using and which version is it?
I agree with Richard. Likely one of the very first times a dialog "Do you want to save username/passwords in the future" popped up you clicked "no". (I know Chrome and Firefox show that kind of a dialog; Internet Explorer probably too).

You should be able to reset that though in the options menu of your browser.
Thanks, I'll look at each. But it seems to happen in IE9, and the latest version of Chrome and Firefox. That's why I thought it must have something to do with the op system. Never have the problem in XP, where I also run Chrome and Mozilla. Different defaults for that system, perhaps?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Try this.
  1. Control Panel/Internet Options.
  2. Content tab.
  3. Autocomplete - press Settings button.
  4. Tick against Usernames and passwords on forms
  5. Tick against Ask me before saving
  6. Click OK.
Tried it, Growl, no soap. However it did solve a problem with Fred Miranda forum where I was submitting the correct username and password and it denied I was a user.

I did notice when I was in the content folder that the "apply button" was grayed out, so I restarted after making the change. But that bothers me; seems maybe I have a rights issue, even though I am the administrator and only use of the macnine.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom