WIN A FREE PHOTO BOOK -- Learn who won!

Everyone that guesses within five cicadas of the number of cicadas that were used to make this photo will be sent for free my next book of tabletop photography that I make for friends so long as the mailing address is within America. If nobody guesses the accurate number within five cicadas, the person or people in the case of a tie that guess closest will be winners. Up to two entries allowed per person, whether in the same post or different posts. You may change your entries at any time up until the deadline. The deadline is midnight June 15, 2021, Eastern Daylight Time. I plan to announce the winners and the number of cicadas I used to make the photo the next day. Anyone not complying fully with the rules is disqualified.

CLARIFICATION: Any participant that appears to be a winner but doesn't provide a mailing address in the U.S. is disqualified. Thus, that person's entries are also disqualified.

Let's have fun with this silly little contest!

Mike 2021-05-27--0003-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Photo of the Setup
The tabletop is a vinyl floor tile and the background is black velvet filling the frame, no more and no less. The large, circular diffuser immediately behind the background was lit from behind by a small continuous-light lamp, though larger lamps would have produced the same results. That part of the lighting setup outlined the transparent glass vase in bright tones and the precise position of the background provided the most control of how the vase was lit.

The medium lamp on the left frontlit the cicadas on the large side of the vase and the small one on the right frontlit the cicadas on the small side of the vase. Those two lamps also lit the tabletop. The two lamps were high above the scene to ensure that neither one of them would be reflected in the glass vase.

25 focus-bracketed images at Nikon step size 3 were stacked in Helicon Focus at its default settings.
Mike 2021-05-27--0004-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
There was a study done that if you average all the guesses in this type challenge, statistically the average was quite close to the actual number.
115 is the rough average so far, I may adjust it as it goes.
gary

I can't believe this is a US only opportunity. Here are my numbers just in case you come around.
** just noticed that you need to be within America. I assume North or South :D

Last edited:
I'm surprised so few people have guessed. The response is absolutely nothing like my infamous contest held years ago and won by Richard (Growltiger) guessing when the Nikon Capture NX3 would be released. (It was never released.) So, this is a bump to remind everyone to guess the number of cicadas that were used to make the photo.

So far, only seven eligible people have guessed. I'll be happy to award a winner if they are the only participants, but I'm confident it will be a lot more fun for almost everyone if a lot more people participate in the contest.

Latest threads

Top Bottom