Win Some Lose Some !

Discussion in 'Birds' started by GeeJay, Mar 25, 2005.

1. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    This morning I was up at 4:30Am and headed to Venice to the Rookery. I planned on getting many flying birds today but my settings were totally off because of my dumb mistakes (which I won't reveal) so I had to delete the card.......but on the second card I got a few that I like..

Here they are..not perfect but at least represent 130 miles of travel and

6 1/2 hours of devotion.

I used my 200-400VR with the D2H and the 1.4 TC with my Toyota Sequoia filled with coffee and bagels :lol:

Best to you and I welcome any comments,

Gaye

18209285-L.

18172162-L.

18209280-L.

18209281-L.

18209286-L.

2. These are incredible Gaye. You should feel justly proud.

3. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    I like them.

When I was 8 we moved to a new house along the backwaters of the Tennessee River in Decatur. In the woods behind my home there were GBH nests. They roosted there for at least 5 years and then they didn't come back. :(

These are great, makes me remember those times as a kid playing in the backyard and finding dead fish in the pool.

4. These are fantastic, great shots love the little guys. A guy I met near where I work has told me about a rookery up here in Pa I have been trying to find it for a week now, would love to get some captures half as good as these.

5. CraigH.

CraigH.

Feb 1, 2005
    Northen NJ
    You still nailed some nice ones here. the first one is fantastic. :D

6. Gaye,

Your shots are just great. The little snowy egret baby with the mom/dad is my favorite. :) :) :)

7. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Photodawg,Craig,Mike,Patrick and Gordon,

Wow, your comments have definitely made my day. I was a bit down about messing up the card full of pictures and now feel much better.

Your nice comments are much appreciated!

Best to you and thank you very much,

Gaye

8. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Great captures Gaye - seriously good compositions!

If I had a nit it is that the first one seems to have a heavy green cast to it (on my uncalibrated crappy monitor). Nothing that couldn't be fixed (if it's real and not the aforementioned monitor).

Really though the fact that you've captured those babies in what are such heart-warming and, dare I say it, joyous poses. Great stuff.

Neil

9. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Neil,
    I don't know what to think about that green cast on that first picture. The whole scene was green because they're nestled into the bushes and the branches over in the rookery. It's solid green. Perhaps that has something to do with it. I just don't know.. but thanks for pointing that out. As I learn more I may be able to control things like that.

You're right about the babies/chicks. They are such a joy to photograph that it's hard for me to leave that place. Today was my fourth trip up there and now I'm thinking I may get to go one more time in a week or two after the tourists leave our area.

The babies then will be older and some might be flying. The babies and the bird families are a complete joy to watch and photograph--

Thanks and best to you,

Gaye

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gaye,

You remind me so much of me that it's scary. I jumped up and rushed out of the house early to go shooting, and didn't get back until after dark tonight. I filled up 3 1GB cards, and put over 200 miles on my Sequioa. Got a few good shots, and some good exercise, but mostly, I just had a great time chasing birdies all over north Alabama.... :lol:

We're hooked bad, huh??

Great shoots BTW. ;-)

:p

Frank

11. I really like #4 Gaye...those baby blues are sooo cute! Just love how messy they look !! Looks like you had another fun day. Sorry to hear about your first batch of shots, though...but we all do dumb things like that ;-)

12. Mike, let me know if you find that rookery! But, up in this neck of the woods its way to early for nesting....the rookery won't be active until late May or June, probably. Plenty of time to scout it out :)

13. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Janet,
    Funny that you mentioned how scruffy and dirty the Great Blue Chicks look.. that's been what I've enjoyed about them. They all look like they need to be combed, scrubbed and groomed.

They have a look that displays a 'Dennis the Menace' demeaner.

Here's one that was just sitting there meditating about his future. They later turn into beautiful birds but as chicks they are the 'ugly duckling'. This is a teenage GBH and is not flying yet but must be thinking about it in this picture.

Sure hope you and Mike find a rookery up there.

Thanks and best to you,
    Gaye

18227412-L-1.

14. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Here are two more pictures that I salvaged from the card disaster.

One is of Anhinga chicks in a feeding frenzy with their mother.

The other is of a Night Heron. I've never seen one of these at the rookery before and it just flew in to check the place out and then left.

That's the last of the rookery shots until next time,

Gaye

18244757-L.

18243990-L.

15. Nice shots Gaye, I love them all

--Ed--

16. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Ed,

You made my day with your nice comment about the birds at the rookery.

Thanks very much!

Those babies are hard to resist and I'm sure I'll go back one more time just to see how much they've grown and if any of them are flying yet.

I can keep track of them by where their nests are in the rookery.

Many thanks and best to you,

Gaye

17. Hi Gaye,

You have my dream kit for outdoor wildlife shooting. You didn't mention if the shots, (which I loved by the way) of the birds above were with a tripod, monopod or hand held. Also, can you tell if you were shooting on single shot mode or continuous mode?

I am so close to getting a 200-400 it hurts. I don't know how much longer I can hold out.

18. Vijay Cavale

Vijay Cavale Guest

Nice! I like the first image the best..two young ones looking up for food... amazing how all these birds breed at the same time..must be plenty of food around?

19. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Scott,

Thanks and yes, I did use a tripod because there I have to stand in one place for several hours..and I definitely use Continuous mode. I usually take several shots of each scene and especially good for the flying birds even though I haven't come close to learning how to get them yet.

I think if I were moving around more I'd use a monopod with the strap setup that Flew devised that holds the monopod to the body so it can't go down..

Thanks and Best to You!

Gaye

20. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Vijay,

I also like that first image the best.

It says so much about the hungry chicks and how demanding they are when the food comes around.

The two Great Blue Heron chicks in that first picture actually got their mother's beak and pulled her down in the next pictures I got.

Thanks and my best to you!

Gaye

PS.. Your gallery is wonderful and I'll visit it often...a real inspiration!