Win7 x64 startup issue - help

When my system first starts up about half the time if I open windows explorer it does not show any files and has a green bar going across the top that never finishes. If I kill the explorer instance and the explorer process that has all the desktop icons and start menu I can then run the task explorer.exe and all is fine. What is going on???

I've scanned with Symantec Internet Security, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and Hitman Pro - none find any current issues.

Just ran the SFC /scannow and it reported, "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations"

Any clues what to do next?

It could be related to Widows Indexing Services.
Go into Control Panel, Indexing Options, click Advanced, and then Index settings. Ensure Index location is set to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft. If it is already rebuild index, you'll see that option in the dialogue box above the box you're in. You could also try clicking on File Types and ensure your indexing properties oinly otherwise the Indexing will take an eternity.

Just to add to the good advice offered above.

Is the green bar issue constant whatever folder you decide to open or is it a particular folder?
One possible reason for this behaviour is a corrupted file causing the green bar hang

How does the system work if you boot in Safe Mode?

If you run msconfig.exe what programs do you see running in the StartUp tab?

You are only running one instance of anti virus software and one instance of spyware/malware removal arent you? Running two of either concurrently is virtually guaranteed to mess with your Windows experience

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am going to have to play with this over the weekend. The green bar is there no matter which drive I click on. When I kill both that instance of explorer and the one that has the start menu and desktop icons I can relaunch it and all is fine, so I think something is latching onto it at start. I rebuilt the indexes as suggested and only have one AV and one malware program running. Have not had a chance to reboot yet and check what is going on.

There's probably something running on bootup that is slowing drive access down or interferring with explore while it loads. Once its done loading, it no longer interfere's with explorer.

When did this start? Did you install anything around the time this started?

I recommend what TonyW says, reboot in safe mode and see if its any better. Run msconfig and look at the startup programs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am somewhat at a loss. I tried msconfig and had it do a clean boot with just MS stuff and it worked fine. It then put everything back and just rebooted and it again booted fine this time. But as I said this does not seem to happen every time so it may be hard to find it. I did unplug one older USB2 external drive, maybe that was causing the problem, don't know. Just have not had a lot of time to play with this.

It could be that you have identified the problem with the USB2 drive or its drivers causing this intermittent problem.

But intermittent problems are always the hardest to diagnose and rectify and if you start to get the problems again then you may have to resort to using msconfig for a longer period of time and considering reanabling individual start up items one by one to try and identify the culprit.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom