Wind farms

In Southern Alberta, near Pincher Creek, there is a very large and widespread "windfarm" for producing electricity from wind:

38819941-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

38824122-L.jpg

38819942-L.jpg

There are 76 of these wind turbines spread over quite a few square miles, and they dominate the landscape for many miles in all directions. Each tower is 197 feet tall, and the blades are 95 feet long.

Yet the combined output is only 40 MW, only about 2% of what one typical nuclear plant produces.

I have to think there is a better way to generate electrical power!

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful Images PA !!!!!

Yeah I like wind mills alot.

did you know yearsssssss ago these used to power wind mills. Have more documentation on this motor...to.

42302044.gif

Wonderful images, I especially liked the first one. Those beautiful mountains and impressive windmills in combination with the tiny cowboy and his cattle in the forground, something we don' see here :smile:. We also have those windmills here in the Netherlands an impressive sight when we go to Friesland and drive pass them standing on a dyke looking out over the sea.

Roosje

We have them in the UK too. There is a strong body of opinion which oposes them, partly on aesthetic grounds. I don't see it myself, I think they look really striking. In 200 years they will be a treasured part of the landscape, just as traditional windmills are now.

These are particularly cool. Great shots.

PGB

Pa,

When I first read your post about the the output power I read 40mW not 40MW :biggrin:

Must be too early, my electrons aren't flowing yet.

Thanks,

Nice series, Pa! Quite a scene to see those mountains in the background. I agree with your point - windpower takes a lot of space in limited locations to generate just a little electricity. As a nuclear engineer, I agree that nuclear power is a much better alternative, but also feel we need to use all available alternative sources, even small contributors like wind. Thanks for sharing these images!

Used to live near a windmill generating farm in California. These huge windmills are really something. Well taken shots, thanks.

Patrick Bramlett said:
Pa,

When I first read your post about the the output power I read 40mW not 40MW :biggrin:

Very slowly turning windmills. Very slow. :wink:

fks

hi pa-

great photos, especially the first one. there's a wind farm on the altamont pass over here in the bay area, but i didn't realize these windmills were that big. your last photo gives a great sense of scale.

wind farms are probably not the most cost-efficient way of generating electricity, but when there's no more oil left.....

ricky

Patrick Bramlett said:
Pa,

Thanks,

That's funny Patrick as I did the same thing, then I thought noooooo that can't possibly be right and went with mega.

Thanks to all for the comments. I personally think the windmills are unsightly, especially in this gorgeous environment.

As for the photography, the credit goes to my wife, as she took all of these. She gets her own D70 tomorrow!

Latest threads

Top Bottom