Window Light

Discussion in 'People' started by ShaunK, Jul 29, 2007.

1. My first wedding clients agreed to come into the studio the other day for a pre-session (of course they did, it was free! :smile:) I wanted some pictures of them to use on business cards for their wedding. I envisioned some B&W making use of window lighting instead of the studio lights. These are the results:

935792248_10b426e932_o.

View attachment 108494

View attachment 108495

Yes, I realize they are a little soft, I used my 50 1.4 at about f/2-f/4, so maybe I missed focus on them... I was also shooting at about 1/15 or so, and I was not concentrating on my shooting steadiness, so that might be a factor as well. Fortunately for me, it won't show up on a 3.5x2 in. card, but definitely a lesson learned, especially with the wedding coming up!:eek:

2. chrisnck

chrisnck

Jul 19, 2007
    mass
    I love natural lighting it give it a completely different look .

3. I, too, prefer that natural light if given the choice. Thanks for looking.

4. #1 AND #2 are great. Cut the window and soften the background and you've got winners!

5. Shaun, great shots...

6. Shaun, the lighting on these is quite nice.

I find the window quite distracting in the first one. If you had moved them one step over, you would have had a stunning photo.

The second shot is quite lovely. Here you have used the window to your advantage having them gaze outside. The visible part of the window is also nicer to look at than the first.

The third shot is just a tad too soft.

I like the conversions. How were they done? Did you use a reflector?

7. Thanks, Ned. #2 needs the window to show where they are gazing... yes, #1 I should have stepped to the left a bit more to cut it out.

Thanks, John.

Thanks, Mitchell. For the first one, you and Ned said the same thing... I don't recall if it was possible to completely cut out the window, as I was shooting from very near the wall where the window was.
    The conversions were done in CS3... I chose the B&W from the image adjustment window, chose the green filter, and tweaked the reds a little to get rid of some blown whites, then re-adjusted a tad in curves, which I am still learning to use. I did have a reflector off to camera right, so basically a two-light set-up, the window and the reflector.

8. I have to disagree. #2 doesnt need the unpleasing and unaesthetic window in the pic. Its obvious theyre either looking through a window or towards the future even if it's not physically included in there.
    Symbolism, abstractiveness and creative minds from the viewers is also a part of photography. The window in the picture is not aesthetic enough to be included. I'm not sure I should say "imo" as it"s almost a given altough you're the boss of your own picture.

9. In the end, you're probably right, Ned. I guess it was more a case of me not thinking of the abstract so much as my final outcome, which will be a business card for the wedding, and at that, I thought including the window was the best choice. That side is where I'm going to put my info, so maybe that will help to lessen the "severity" of that ugly and unaesthetic window. :tongue:

10. spencer313

spencer313 Guest

Very Tri-X.

I like 'em.

11. Hey, your window is fine... but it's just not romantic :)

12. Can't argue that one! :tongue: :biggrin: