Window Mount

Real Name
Jeff
I take most of my pictures from my vehicle hand held. I have been thinking about getting a window mount and was wondering if anyone here on NC have any recommendations for which one to get. I have researched them a little and there is a lot to choose from. Thanks, Jeff

I haven't tried a window mount, worried about damaging the window. What I use is a bean bag that can slouch over the window and cradle the lens. this works quite well even for longer lenses, but then I tend to use the 300PF in the car.

Cheers,
alexis and Georgie Beagle

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Many years ago I went through the same decision process. I bought the APEX bean bag....and still love it! I used it driving around Florida and in 2010 in Alaska. And I used it in Kenya. As you know, when shooting from a vehicle you need something that will sit "high enough" in the window so that you don't have to scrunch down trying to look through the camera's view finder.

The Apex has straps that attach to both the inside and outside door handles. And it has a metal plate that slides under the top fabric so that you can easily mount a ball or gimbal head.
You can use it:
as a bean bag
with a ball head
with a gimbal head!

The one I bought is quite large... it sits up high. It takes about 12 lbs of black sunflower seeds or rice. They now offer three versions.

I have a most useful device which was made from hard foam that was designed for exactly this purpose.
It is called "Puffin Pad"; is extremely inexpensive; and has a tether-strap (so that it wont fall out of the window).

It has the added advantage that you don't have to find a supply of rice or beans with which to fill it.
The Puffin is very quickly popped over the window (and removed again when you need to drive on because one doesn't want to drive in much of Africa with the windows wound down because of the dust) and I have used it extensively with my rather massive 200-400mm VR.

Puffin Pad Puffin Pad Pro Lens Support PPPRO B&H Photo Video
Unfortunately, B&H are saying "No longer available" so I fear that it may have been discontinued.

I use a Grizzley bean bag that is shaped like a molar. The split v-shape on the bottom will sit nicely on a car door or window and nestles the lens quite well. I fill it it with navy beans. Any beans or seeds would work. If traveling, I fill it from a local grocery store when I arrive, so it flies flat and almost weightless in my suitcase. The nice thing about the bean bag (as opposed to some sort of window mount) is that it also works sitting on the hood of my truck or on the bed rail. Turns my entire Dodge into a photo blind. :)

https://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-Photography-Support-Spotting-Equipment/dp/B00C8SKLY2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1514781409&sr=8-5&keywords=photo+bean+bag

I once witnessed the sole store in a remote Namibian Desert village being completely denuded of Rice by a group of photographers filling their Beanbags and wondered how the villagers were going to manage until the shop got a new delivery.

I once witnessed the sole store in a remote Namibian Desert village being completely denuded of Rice by a group of photographers filling their Beanbags and wondered how the villagers were going to manage until the shop got a new delivery.
First world problems causing third world problems. Thinking of this it this location it would be better to use sand or bring your own.

Cheers,

" hopefully they didn't dump it when they were done, but gave it to those in need..." - Georgie Beagle

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
First world problems causing third world problems. Thinking of this it this location it would be better to use sand or bring your own.

Cheers,

" hopefully they didn't dump it when they were done, but gave it to those in need..." - Georgie Beagle
Not really. In every case where I and others have used rice to fill beans bags, at the end of the trip the rice was given to the poor.

Not really. In every case where I and others have used rice to fill beans bags, at the end of the trip the rice was given to the poor.
That is really good, it makes me feel better that people are thinking of others!

Cheers,

"+1 buying the rice or beans brings money to the merchants while giving it to the poor helps the hungry! win - Win!!!" - Georgie Beagle

My bag works great loaded with styrofoam pellets (not the packing peanuts). Only needs less than a pound to fill instead of 4-6 pounds of beans, rice, or seed.
Just google 'styrofoam' pellets and look through those results.

D

DW Brewer

+1 on using a swim noodle. I have been using one for over ten years now. I cut 1pieces 1 foot long from a full noodle and have plenty of spares when one wears out. 1 noodle provides several for use in the car, by myself and others. I use them with lenses up to and including the 800mm.

Like Ann I too have a Puffin Pad and also note that it appears to be discontinued. Instead of a pool noodle, I use foam pipe insulation, already has a slit. Sometimes I will nest 2 pieces together for added support. Might be easier to find than a pool noodle depending on your location and time of year.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom